should i get rear brakes for my SE, or just keep the front ones? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : should i get rear brakes for my SE, or just keep the front ones?

NOSintake
07-26-2006, 08:30 PM
first, sorry for asking all these questions lately (dont know too much about cars). ok, now my car is shaking when i start to break at anything above 50mph, so i figured its time for new brakes. ive been looking around the boards, and online, and i see that you can add rear brakes. now i only have an SE, and not a GT, so i dont know if i should go ahead and try to get this done or not.

when adding the rear brakes, would i just replace the drums or what? i really have no idea about cars, but i wanna try and learn.

badboy2451
07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
i would try replacing the front rotors before you do anything...i dont think a drum to disc conversion is an easy thing to do

Rich
07-26-2006, 11:48 PM
^ its my understanding that its not so much hard, as it is time consuming. for your situation if you just want to stop the shaking you probably just want to replace that two front rotors like zac said. if you want a bit of added performance you could do the conversion but it would be more expensive to do than just the front rotors, if your not looking for added performance. to learn more about the swap just search drum to disk conversion or the like.

Lab Rat
07-27-2006, 06:43 AM
The swap is easy but not cheap. You must find all the parts and then get rotors and pads. I also swapped out the rubber lines for stainless steel braided.
I would go to a junk yard to see if you could source the parts there. I myself got ripped off by the jerk that sold me my parts. Cost me an extra 140 bucks after I got the swap kit. Hell, it wasn't even off a 99+ so there was some modification that I needed to do. If you can find ALL the parts for 300 to 350 and buy good pads and rotors the swap should be around 600, front and back (but you would pay 1/2 that for brake job parts). They do look and stop great BTW.

I missed your? sorry. The shake is prolly from your FRONT rotors. As they wear out the rotors get thin and can warp which causes the "shake" you describe.

NOSintake
07-27-2006, 07:47 AM
i guess ill just add new brakes and pads. then mayb next summer i can do a conversion

coupe
07-27-2006, 08:17 AM
You need new pads and rotors up front to stop the shaking. Like these guys said your front rotors are most likely warped.