Question with whats on my Battery :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question with whats on my Battery :)

GatorMan
07-27-2006, 03:11 PM
hello,
I know this is not a grand am anymore but a buick rendezvous. Anyways what is this on my battery. It still works just has some funky stuff on it and i dont know what to do.

badboy2451
07-27-2006, 03:18 PM
could be corrosion, could be adic...take a picture so we know what ur talking about

GatorMan
07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
here pics

Mirage85
07-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Im leaning towards an acid leak....

Even leave batteries in something for a really long time, or find something thats had batteries in it for years, and when you open it, its full of that crud....

How old is the battery?

GatorMan
07-27-2006, 03:40 PM
umm well it is a 2003 and i don't think the battery has been replaced but my buick does have 120,000 miles on it. It does look kind of like an acid leak because it has a light blue right around the terminal. Should i replace the battery even though it works? I don't want to touch that sh*t lol.

stangdude
07-27-2006, 03:50 PM
is it a 78 group battery? for some reason AC Delco 78 group batteries have a BAD corrosion problem with the positive terminal, so bad that it is highly common for the positive terminal to rot off completely. I'd soak it in a mix of baking soda and water to knock off the brunt of it, then take it apart and wire brush the rest off. All batteries will have corrosion if they are not attended to, but for some reason the Delco 78 groups are worse than any. I used to work for an Autozone and I'd say that 75% of the Delco 78 groups that were turned in for cores had the positive terminal rotten off. the 75 groups, like found in most of our Grand Ams are usually fine. They just get snow on them if you neglect them.

badboy2451
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
is it the stock AC Delco battery? there are a lot of people (incuding everyone in my family) that have had there stock battery terminals start to fall off causing an acid leak

B0000rt
07-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Did the Positive lid cover pop right off?

Or has it been off like that this whole time? If so, clean it off with a wire brush and put the cover back on!!!

GatorMan
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
i guess the lid popped off it has been off. good knowledge stangdude. It is an acdelco 78. So do you think i should just toss it and get a knew battery.

badboy2451
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
i guess the lid popped off it has been off. good knowledge stangdude. It is an acdelco 78. So do you think i should just toss it and get a knew battery.

i would if i were you, or your risking gettin stuck somewhere when the terminal actually falls off and your car wont start

lone_wolf025
07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
i would if i were you, or your risking gettin stuck somewhere when the terminal actually falls off and your car wont start

That's what duct tape is for lol

stangdude
07-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Yea, given the track record for the Delco Batteries, I'd replace it. I actually wouldn't even touch it until you are ready to replace it cuz if you do, you're probably going to make the cable fall off. Much better to spend $50 now than be stranded in a couple months.

coupe
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I didnt have any problems with my acdelco, it lasted almost 7 years, hell it still works, it runs my trolling motor now.

Its just corrosion, just clean it with coke or battery terminal cleaner.

nascarnate326
07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Its just corrosion, just clean it with coke .

Every time i hear that i cringe. Need to drink more water and less pop.

GatorMan
07-30-2006, 08:58 AM
well i think i am going to just get a new battery. If i get an optima battery what kind should i get yellow top or red top. I have a sound system that runs about 700 watts rms. Also what size do you think will fit in my 2003 buick rendezvous.

stangdude
07-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I'd go with red top, its cheaper and will do great with that size system. The Yellow top is a dual purpose deep cycle/starting battery for use with massive stereos and winches and stuff. They have a red top that is a 34/78 group that will fit right in the slot the old one came out of. Plus, they are dual terminal so you have the side posts for the factory wiring and top posts for stereo. Last time I checked they were about $120 or so. I have the 75 group red top which is a little smaller than the one that fits yours and I love it. I wanted the one that will fit your car, but it would have required modifying the battery rack and I really didn't feel like doing that, just in case it did have a problem, I wanted the tray there to collect as much acid as possible.

GatorMan
07-30-2006, 04:26 PM
thanks alot man that really helped