Removing Stock Exhaust. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stock Exhaust.

el nino
07-29-2006, 01:41 AM
i just got my slp exhaust today and i really wanted to install it. when i got under to try and remove the stock exhaust the bolts where all rusted and worn where it connects to the cat conv. any ideas how to remove the bolts? should i just take it to a shop?

AznGA
07-29-2006, 01:49 AM
You are gonna have to cut the bolts. You probably would have to cut the stock exhaust as well because I think it's all welded as one piece. I took mine to a shop to have it removed.

el nino
07-29-2006, 01:55 AM
how much was it to remove it?

AznGA
07-29-2006, 01:58 AM
I think I paid around $90 for stock exhaust removal AND SLP installation.

el nino
07-29-2006, 02:02 AM
ok thanx. i guess ill just pay and get it installed.

ihatemygrandamg
07-29-2006, 02:16 AM
Just got mine put on and welded up for $100. Was gonna have them cut and drill out the bolts but they quoted me just as much. Plus I dont really have the time because of work

el nino
07-29-2006, 07:26 AM
well what kind of system do you have because SLP is bolt on.

el nino
07-29-2006, 12:36 PM
well its going to run me 60-75$ just to get the bolts removed and have new ones installed....?? the guy at the muffler shop said that a lot of ga's and gp's had that problem with the bolts. kinda pricy tho.

zhd1000
07-29-2006, 02:29 PM
i used penetrating oil and a wrench on both the nut and the bolt and pulled like hell.. 2 came off nicely and the 3rd broke in half.. came out though.. and yeah you're going to half to cut the stock exhaust pipe before the axel.. unless you have access to a lift i guess

ihatemygrandamg
07-29-2006, 02:59 PM
I couldnt have unbolted them because the bolts were soo stripped. It seems like everyone with grandams is having this problem. Exhaust shop are normally pretty cheap because they do it soo much it hardly takes them any time, and it much easier with a lift. It took one guy about an hour if that to torch and hammer out the bolt,make a new gasket,weld up the piping,and use a level to line up the tips. All that for $100 was worth it IMO

NOSintake
07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I think I paid around $90 for stock exhaust removal AND SLP installation.

where did u get that done at?

AznGA
07-29-2006, 11:05 PM
where did u get that done at?
Midas.

tomh
07-29-2006, 11:26 PM
wow took mine to a local shop to get mine removed.. then the guy handed me the keys to his car so i could go back to my house and get my borla.. and he put it on then too (i figured why not he had nothing else to do).. only cost me $20

el nino
07-29-2006, 11:44 PM
wow thats really cheap. i think the mufflerman ripped me off. lol

el nino
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
anyone know how i can cut the stock pipe? gona give that a try tomorow morning.

tenspeed
07-30-2006, 07:07 AM
I installed my SLP last year and getting the bolts off was one of the hardest parts.

I used a saws-all on them. I have cut other rusted bolts with a dremel cut off wheel. I cut the two bottom bolts off first, cut the stock pipe so it would hang down and cut the top bolt. I cleaned out the holes with a 3/8" countersink and used stainless hardware.

Do all the cutting on the back end of the flange.

Here's a link to pictures I took during the install.
http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/tenspeed/SLP%20exhaust/

el nino
07-30-2006, 03:43 PM
i am having the hardest time trying to get the over-axle pipe through. can anyone please give me some tips on getting it through!

Mirage85
07-30-2006, 04:44 PM
i am having the hardest time trying to get the over-axle pipe through. can anyone please give me some tips on getting it through!

Cut about 1/4" - 1/2" off of the hanger, then it will go over the axle much easier. Thats what I did and it worked fine. My only problem is that it vibrates on the heat shield that runs around the spare tire... so i will have to cut it off or bend it.

Ajaxus
07-30-2006, 04:53 PM
i believe the shop that put mine in cut that hanger off completely. and i have no issues with the exhaust not fitting correctly other than one alignment issue but that issue isn't related to the hanger.

tenspeed
07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I have a small crack where the hanger is attached to the pipe. Wish that I had known about cutting some off the end of the hanger when I did my installation.

el nino
07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
hah the cutting just saved me. after spending 2 hours trying to find a way to get it through, i got back to the computer and read what mirage85 had done!

thats all i have done though....

Mirage85
07-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Another problem i had was where the flange is for the 3 bolts. They poorly cut the pipe, then welded the flange on, I had to dremel out some of the pipe from inside the flage to get the little lip from the flange on the cat to fit in and seal properly. A simle hour install ended up taking me all day... that and because it was hot so i took breaks to jump in the pool and got side tracked with other crap...

good luck, youll love it once its complete.

el nino
07-30-2006, 11:38 PM
finally finished installing the SLP. took me all day! the reason was because i had the wrong tool, the bolts on the slp were metric. sounds nice but doesnt look very good since i got in an accident a while ago and my back bumber is slanted down so i had to have the tips slanted a little bit.

id like to thank everyone who answered my questions couldnt have done it without u. lol

1hotgagt
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
what does the SLp exhaust sound like? anyone no of an exhuast that sounds like the 350z or maruno exhaust?

Kdawg207
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
:banghead :banghead :banghead :postal: :postal: :rtfm

el nino
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
the slp was not as loud as i thought it was going to be. but it still sounds really nice.

The_Wraith
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
the slp was not as loud as i thought it was going to be. but it still sounds really nice.

Yeah, I had mine for about a year... sounds great... I been meaning to make a video of it... I'm going to try and do it this week... and post it up here...

Mirage85
08-02-2006, 02:35 PM

It was louder that I expeted it too be, but I guess maybe I set my expectations a little lower? Either way, its still pretty loud inside the car if you dont have the music way up. Im ordering the magnaflow 14266, but the local shops phone is busy...... grrrr.....;crap

el nino
08-26-2006, 01:53 AM
ok well since my back bumper is a little slanted from an accident the tips on the pass. side would hit something and make some noise. i decided to take the tip off and turn the 90 degree tube around pointing kind of towards the front of the car and down. so now i only have the dual on my driver side. i was just wondering if the change will cause any problems?

tenspeed
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
ok well since my back bumper is a little slanted from an accident the tips on the pass. side would hit something and make some noise. i decided to take the tip off and turn the 90 degree tube around pointing kind of towards the front of the car and down. so now i only have the dual on my driver side. i was just wondering if the change will cause any problems?

You'll have a problem if that pipe hits something and rips the muffler off. It also pushes exhaust gasses under the car instead of out the back.

Get a section of pipe, weld a blank across it, remove the pipe and cap it.