LIM Gasket Brands? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Gasket Brands?

eBandit
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I am about to replace my LIM and I was wondering if it matters if I buy the gaskets from GM or somewhere else. Which would be better?

For example Advance Auto parts sells: Fel Pro Intake Manifold Gasket Set
OHV Engine; Complete Set; Valve Cover Gaskets, Upper Set & PermaDryPlus Intake Manifold Gaskets Included for $76.96

Would Fel Pro be ok, or should I only buy the stuff from GM? I want to make sure I get the best/most reliable gaskets I can.

Sprucegagt
08-01-2006, 10:10 AM
Last time I bought Fel-Pro LIM gaskets for my car, they did not have the metal inserts found in the redesigned GM gasket. Now this was over a year ago so this may have been changed. Check the gaskets before buying them if they have the metal inserts.

I normally have no problem with Fel-Pro gaskets so if the metal inserts are there then use it.

B0000rt
08-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I am about to replace my LIM and I was wondering if it matters if I buy the gaskets from GM or somewhere else. Which would be better?

For example Advance Auto parts sells: Fel Pro Intake Manifold Gasket Set
OHV Engine; Complete Set; Valve Cover Gaskets, Upper Set & PermaDryPlus Intake Manifold Gaskets Included for $76.96

Would Fel Pro be ok, or should I only buy the stuff from GM? I want to make sure I get the best/most reliable gaskets I can.

I got the same ones for my 3100, they come with Blue coloured valve cover gaskets and the "PermaDryPlus" meant mine was metal..

It also came with the thermostat gasket, and the lower piece of the EGR valve gasket (you still have to purchase the upper gasket, along with the injectors o-rings (if you want to take those out) and the TB gasket)...

So far it's a pretty good set, I didn't use the RTV that it came with though. Purchased from Rockauto.com

DoCDooM
08-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Hello all,

FelPro made the original gaskets for GM, there is a current class action suit being brewed concerning the DEX-Cool issue which also involved FelPro and the LIM gaskets.

If there was an aftermarket option I would at least have a look at it.

Dan

digitalballz
08-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Felpro just came out with a new redesigned gasket. Its supposed to be better than the one GM came out with. Havent used one yet, but the salesman was by 2 weeks ago to show us at work.

eBandit
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Felpro just came out with a new redesigned gasket. Its supposed to be better than the one GM came out with. Havent used one yet, but the salesman was by 2 weeks ago to show us at work.

You wouldnt happen to know how I would be able to tell if I would be getting the new one would you? (Like something different about it, part number, comes with something different, etc.) I just want to make sure I get the best I can so this will be done with for a while.

Thanks.

stangdude
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
99% of the "Permadry" gaskets have the metal crush fittings in the holes, it's one of the features of the Permadry line. That and the fact that you are not supposed to use any sealer with them, hence the word "dry" in the name

dcb2001gt
08-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Just had my LIM replaced 2nd time (1st at 10k, 2nd at 95k) I spke to the mechanic and he told me this is the third redesign of these gaskets. He was able to show me where the problems were located and how this new design is supposed to stop those problems. Those of us with the LIM problems know better than to think this design will be any better. Advice - Change you LIMs every 60-80K and you shouldn't have any problems. Tell tale sign that you have a problem is paste on the coolant cap.