A/C Condensor question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C Condensor question

eBandit
08-01-2006, 09:07 AM
My AC clutch has been making some noise, so I am going to buy a new compressor and clutch, but when I was looking up the compressors to price them I found this note: CAUTION: Condenser Cannot be Thoroughly Flushed of Debris and Contaminants and Should be Replaced.

Anyone fimilar with this? So even if I had the system evacuated or whatever, it wouldnt be enough. Should I replace the condensor as well, or will having the system cleaned out (evacuated, flushed, whatever) be enough. I just want to do it all right so there will be less problems down the road, because I might give my younger brother this car next year.

Sprucegagt
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Clutch assembly is external of the pressurized A/C system. If only the clutch is bad, then changing the compressor will not cause a problem. But if other things inside the compressor broke first and caused the clutch to go bad, then you have problems. Only way to know for sure is to have the compressor removed and inspected, then determine if more work is needed or not.

eBandit
08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
ok, thanks. yeah its only the clutch that is going bad. My A/C works fine, just the clutch makes rattling noises when it isnt engauged and it has some metal shavings around it a little bit. The reason I am replacing the whole thing is because for an entire clutch unit it is a little over $100 and I would hate to do that and then have compressor failure later on.

digitalballz
08-01-2006, 10:05 PM
dont worry about it.

Hurricane
08-02-2006, 05:52 AM
ok, thanks. yeah its only the clutch that is going bad. My A/C works fine, just the clutch makes rattling noises when it isnt engauged and it has some metal shavings around it a little bit. The reason I am replacing the whole thing is because for an entire clutch unit it is a little over $100 and I would hate to do that and then have compressor failure later on.

Mine's doing the exact same thing. It's fine when the AC is engaged, but when it isn't the thing squeals like a stuck pig. Rather embarassing.

I'm not worried about it too much though. Once I get my hesitation/surging problem sorted out, then I'll worry about the AC.

eBandit
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
A guy at the parts counter told me that the magnetic part might be weak and not releasing it all the way and I could just replace that if i wanted to, anyone heard of this before?