Manual Shifting with a Auto Tranny [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Manual Shifting with a Auto Tranny

99GTCoupe
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Hey all, I know that on my car I have a Shift Up light that will appear if I am in say 1st gear and need to shift. I eventually want a shift kit to give me more freedom and a better shift reaction (I think that's how they help, right? Haven't really looked into them) and want to practice early. My shifter currently goes P->R->N->D->3->2->1 (I think, right?). What I want to know is: Will it damage my tranny in any way if I start shifting from 1->2->3->D? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure that the 99 GA works that way as well. :)

As always, please bear with my occasional n00bishness :P

LoboMan7409
08-03-2006, 04:20 PM
shifting manually in an auto isnt going to do anything for you, all it does for you when you put it in first is it keeps it in first (i.e. no accelration gains, nada) when I race i just leave it in D.

Sprucegagt
08-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Best thing you can do is put it in "3" and leave ETS off.

jackal2000
08-03-2006, 05:20 PM
if u leave it in first and bounce off the rev limiter i do believe the computer will shift into second.

LoboMan7409
08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
if u leave it in first and bounce off the rev limiter i do believe the computer will shift into second.

No, it just bounces off the rev limiter till you shift

atc3434
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
shifting manually in an auto isnt going to do anything for you, all it does for you when you put it in first is it keeps it in first (i.e. no accelration gains, nada) when I race i just leave it in D.

Actually, when you manually shift the Grand Am, you'll get increased line pressure, and firmer shifts, than with staying in drive. In a performance driving situation, this could have a very slight advantage, and is better for the tranny.

99GTCoupe
08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Why would shifting manually from 1st through Drive leave the car in 1st gear? That doesn't make any logical sense.

So like I am saying, you can use an auto tranny to manually shift, allowing you to get slightly better performance (I'm not looking for god-like perfomance) as well as getting used to manually shifting, correct? And will the Shift Up light come on at a predetermined time, or just when the RPMs start to go in the red?

Rich
08-03-2006, 08:08 PM
the shift light wont come on. i dont think its enabled with the auto. i guess shift whenever you feel like.

williamGT
08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey all, I know that on my car I have a Shift Up light that will appear if I am in say 1st gear and need to shift. I eventually want a shift kit to give me more freedom and a better shift reaction (I think that's how they help, right? Haven't really looked into them) and want to practice early. My shifter currently goes P->R->N->D->3->2->1 (I think, right?). What I want to know is: Will it damage my tranny in any way if I start shifting from 1->2->3->D? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure that the 99 GA works that way as well. :)

As always, please bear with my occasional n00bishness :P

Shift Light???? mine is a 2002 GAGT I don't have one. if I do where is it by? (on the cluster)

Rich
08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
^ i think its still there if you look but it wont light up, like the tire pressure guage on 00+ GA's. the shift light is only for the I4 manuals.

REV13
08-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Why would shifting manually from 1st through Drive leave the car in 1st gear? That doesn't make any logical sense.

He meant if u put it in 1st it stays in first.....

...and does ur shift light actually come on? i dont think they do in auto's

cmtapanes
08-03-2006, 10:03 PM
the shift light doesn't work in our cars. It doesn't make since but is there just laughing at you.

Sprucegagt
08-03-2006, 10:26 PM
WOW the mis-information here is staggering. Here are some facts.

1. Only manual SE GAs got a shift light. Why is it in the GAGT no one knows.
2. Manual shifting your automatic will not increase its shift pressure. Shift pressure is PCM controlled no matter what RPM or MPH you are doing.
3. Bouncing off the rev limiter is VERY BAD!!! The PCM will start killing injectors and make your air/fuel ratio very lean.
4. The best way to launch the car is with the shifter in "3" with ETS off.
5. Search button is your best friend. You have a question, it can answer it faster than I can.
6. This thread is over.