00 GAGT Auto Trans shifting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00 GAGT Auto Trans shifting

AuroraGuy
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I am now at about 45K miles and noticed that my automatic is shifting weird. It is sometimes slow to finish shifting or delayed and most noticible when entering OD.
It can literally take several seconds to complete its shift.

I disconnected the battery and went thru the 3 days of the computer learning how to shift again and it didnt help or hurt.

It does shift though and the car runs fine...but it has (intermittantly) turned into the old POWERGLIDE (we called powerslide) transmissions of yesteryear.

Anyone notice this and can offer me any advise?

-JD

LoboMan7409
08-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I am now at about 45K miles and noticed that my automatic is shifting weird. It is sometimes slow to finish shifting or delayed and most noticible when entering OD.
It can literally take several seconds to complete its shift.

I disconnected the battery and went thru the 3 days of the computer learning how to shift again and it didnt help or hurt.

It does shift though and the car runs fine...but it has (intermittantly) turned into the old POWERGLIDE (we called powerslide) transmissions of yesteryear.

Anyone notice this and can offer me any advise?

-JD

Well I think that is is time for your transmission service, it is due every 50,000 miles. Just take it to a Jiffy Lube and tell them you want an auto trani service!

atc3434
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Yea, unfourtunately, changing the fluid isn't going to correct the problem you've got. Usually when you get a lower miles GA shifting slow, it the shift solenoid going bad, its happend to quite a few folks. I'd look into that before I tried changing the fluid.

AuroraGuy
08-04-2006, 06:06 AM
ok...is that solenoid easy to change or is it internal to the trans?

Any idea on costs for parts ( and maybe labor time?)

-JD

atc3434
08-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Its internal, and pretty expensive. I don't know exactly how much, but do a search for that type of information on the site and you might find it.