a/c on and slow starts.. need some help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : a/c on and slow starts.. need some help

zhd1000
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Well my car is starting to act up a little nothing major thank god but enough to concern me..

first, the a/c seems to be on all the time, except when the knob is turned off.. i've pressed that a/c button 16,000 times and the air temp doesn't change at all.. any ideas?

next, the car isn't starting crisply like it should.. it acts like the battery is dead (or dying) and slowly cranks over then starts.. i'm guessing something with the battery is wrong.. i dont suspect the alternator because when it's started everything runs according to the plan. also when i hit the lock button on the fob the horn is very faint at times.. any constructive thoughts/comments would help!

-Zach

digitalballz
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
sounds like a weak battery. As for the ac if the selector is all the way to the left on max i think it is its the same as having the ac button on. I say start with the battery and go from there.

zhd1000
08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
sounds like a weak battery. As for the ac if the selector is all the way to the left on max i think it is its the same as having the ac button on. I say start with the battery and go from there.

the selector is on 3 (my lowest setting as 1 and 2 don't work :rolleyes: )

i don't remember if i've ever changed the battery in this car.. i know it's a acdelco and thats the stock brand right? i wonder if the battery is 6 years old?

lone_wolf025
08-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Best bet would be to check your batt.

As for a/c check to see if your clutch is engaged even if the switch is off. If that's the case you may have a shorted out clutch which could explain the dying battery.

pyro
08-08-2006, 10:36 PM
the selector is on 3 (my lowest setting as 1 and 2 don't work :rolleyes: )

i don't remember if i've ever changed the battery in this car.. i know it's a acdelco and thats the stock brand right? i wonder if the battery is 6 years old?
no, he means the switch for air direction, if its on the one furthest to the left its a/c on no matter what the one with "max" by it means the a/c compressor runs regardless of wether you have then "a/c" button on or not.

zhd1000
08-10-2006, 11:45 PM
you know.. after 3+ years of owning a grand am i should know that...

so now to figure out the slow starting thing.. hmmm

coupe
08-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Its your battery. Sounds like you have the original battery. Get a new one asap, even if it isnt the problem (99.9% sure it is) you will need to replace it soon anyway.

cmtapanes
08-17-2006, 04:56 PM
If your settings 1 and 2 don't work it's the resistance, its like a computer card that goes on the passanger side where the blower is located. I had that problem where 1 and 2 didn't work.

Firebirdnyc
08-17-2006, 08:34 PM
sounds like a weak battery, or could be high resistance. Check to see if you have 12 volts at the batt when the car is off, no less then 12.2. And check while cranking, no less then 10 volts at the battery while cranking.