SES Problem! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES Problem!

99GTCoupe
08-09-2006, 07:33 PM
I have told you all how I took my car in and got the water pump, plugs/wires, and both intake manifold gaskets (I found out they replaced upper and lower). Well my gf drove it around today while I was at work and after about five hours of driving (plus a half hour when she brought it home from the shop on Monday, 5.5 hrs total) the SES light came on!

So, naturally we were both quite pissed and now I get to call the shop tomorrow and saw WTF did you guys do?! Before she takes it in though, (I have to work all day again) she will take it to Murray's or AutoZone and have them run the code on it and tell me what's wrong so I can know if the shop tries to BS me. But when I came home and started the car, I heard a kind of shushing/chugging noise that was not there before. I popped the hood and lo and behold I see something that looks like an arm moving on the left side of my engine!!!!

Now, I may not know everything there is to know about cars, but I sure as HELL know that it should not be moving. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is the belt tensioner. I don't have a pic or I would show you all it. I am pretty sure it is, it has the belt going around it and it is attached to the engine and points not exactly straight down but looks that way. It is wobbling back and forth maybe about 1/4 inch to a 1/2 inch or something.

So yeah, I REALLY don't think that should be moving (even if it isn't the tensioner), because I NEVER heard this noise before and NEVER saw that move before. Our guess is that it wiggled loose after all the driving. Which, is sort of a good thing because if it had completely loosened as I was going 80 mph down the highway, it would have been a hell of a lot worse than at 50 like she was driving (though I still know it would have been bad, and been completely irate that my gf and others in the car got hurt!). Anyways, what do you guys think could be the problem (assuming that the tensioner is not the only thing)? A friend suggested (before I had started the car) that a sensor could have gotten broken or something and they didn't notice. But I think it's just the tensioner. How bad could it be as of right now (getting fixed tomorrow)?

lone_wolf025
08-09-2006, 07:57 PM
The tensioner SHOULD move, thats normal. Worry when it doesn't move at all indicating that it could be frozen. As for the noise...hard to say...tell us what the code is when you get it so it can be narrowed down.

99GTCoupe
08-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Ah, okay then, so it should be constantly moving back and forth? I don't knwo what else, but it sounded like it was coming from down there near where the belt runs everything ><

Also, another problem involving the window regulator. Please see the How-To guide though and answer there so I don't mix up this thread :)

coupe
08-10-2006, 07:20 AM
We need the code to help you.
Just take it back to the shop, they should have at least a 30 day warranty on their work. If they dont warrant their work you shouldnt have gone there.

99GTCoupe
08-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Oh I know, I am calling them in a couple hours on my break and then this afternoon my gf will be taking it to the Murray's that en route to the shop. She'll SMS me the result at Murray's and then I will let you guys know.

99GTCoupe
08-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Well, my gf took the car to Autozone en route and they said it was from a cylinder misfire. She took it to the shop and they said the same thing, BUT when they were pulling it into the garage the light went off and did not come back. The shop guy said it could have been from a number of things, possibly a carbon buildup that should have cleared on its own but just took awhile to clear out. Or something.

She said okay, and that if it came back on she would be back. Damn farking straight! Well, hopefully the light stays off and everything is okay with the car now. Now to just replace that darn window regulator.