Auto Shifting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shifting

99GTCoupe
08-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey all, I would have posted this question in my other thread but it got shut down ><

Sprucegagt said:
2. Manual shifting your automatic will not increase its shift pressure. Shift pressure is PCM controlled no matter what RPM or MPH you are doing.
3. Bouncing off the rev limiter is VERY BAD!!! The PCM will start killing injectors and make your air/fuel ratio very lean.

Now, would those things hold true if I got a DHP PCM?

Also, with putting the car in 3 and turning off ETS, when do you put the trans into Drive? Along those lines, when you hit the ETS button, is the Trac Off light supposed to come on? I have an issue with my ABS Sensor and my Trac and ABS will both go off sometimes; will that be what's causing me to not be able to turn off ETS (or at least the Trac Off light not coming on)?

I did attempt the Search feature before starting this thread, but I could not find any topics that seemed to be what I was looking for, so please have mercy :)

jackal2000
08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
yes, ets off = trac off light

99GTCoupe
08-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks, do you think the ABS sensor issue is what's causing me to not be able to turn that off?

jackal2000
08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
my wife's car was throwing the abs light and trac off would come on with it. so it seems those two are related. my assumption is, if the light says its off, then its off. pushing the ets button will not turn trac back on.

Sprucegagt
08-10-2006, 11:53 PM
1. Now, would those things hold true if I got a DHP PCM?

2. Also, with putting the car in 3 and turning off ETS, when do you put the trans into Drive?

3. Along those lines, when you hit the ETS button, is the Trac Off light supposed to come on? I have an issue with my ABS Sensor and my Trac and ABS will both go off sometimes; will that be what's causing me to not be able to turn off ETS (or at least the Trac Off light not coming on)?

I did attempt the Search feature before starting this thread, but I could not find any topics that seemed to be what I was looking for, so please have mercy :)

1. Yes.

2. From your previous thread you were asking how to launch the car. This is only for the 1/4 mile. If it is on the street then you are on your own. You put the selector in "3" and turn ETS off (Trac Off light will turn on), stage the car and complete your run. Once you turn off the track, stop and then put the selector in "D" and turn ETS back on (Trac Off light will be out, if there are no pre-existing ABS problems).

3. Fix the ABS issue before doing any hard running. Get the code read, find out which sensor is bad and go from there. Most likely it will be a ABS sensor or bearing assembly bad.

coupe
08-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Andy pretty much summed it up.

I drive around town in '3' as long as its under 60mph, anything over that i put it in 'D'.

99GTCoupe
08-11-2006, 08:12 AM

I drive around town in '3' as long as its under 60mph, anything over that i put it in 'D'.

I was always told that driving in the wrong gear with screw things up, even on a auto. Thanks guys, though, didn't know you meant for the 1/4 mile. And yeah, I plan to get that sensor fixed ASAP. Does anyone know if it is a hard thing to replace? I was thinking maybe next time I did my brakes, I'd do it if I can.

Mike Jung
08-11-2006, 11:18 AM

Anything over 40-mph could engage 4th-gear over-drive.
I was always told that driving in the wrong gear with screw things up, even on a auto...
Driving around in 3 will not ruin anything.
(It is the preferred gear setting when towing.)

3 will limit your car from going into 4th gear OD.

3rd gear is 1:1.

You will get lower gas mileage driving around in 3 though.

3 allows for some engine braking & probably hold the gear longer before shifting up, than D for power.

99GTCoupe
08-11-2006, 01:10 PM
3 allows for some engine braking & probably hold the gear longer before shifting up, than D for power.

What is engine braking?

freakydeaky
08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
engine braking slows the car down without using the brakes, the engine converts energy to heat which is released..... i think

jackal2000
08-11-2006, 02:39 PM
engine braking slows the car down without using the brakes, the engine converts energy to heat which is released..... i think

exactly.

straight from wikipedia

Engine braking is the act of using the energy-requiring compression stroke of the internal combustion engine to dissipate energy and slow down a vehicle. Compression braking is a common legal term for the same mechanism.