No / little Acceleration [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No / little Acceleration

CompMageX01
08-12-2006, 05:57 PM
CAR: 2002 Grand-AM SE, 3400 SFI V6, hairs past the 50K marker.

No / little acceleration

Ok, this is getting on my nervs. I turned my car on one day about 2 weeks ago and seemed fine, but once I went to pull out of the parking lotÖ and until I floored it I got basically an idle. When I press on the gas, the RPM stays very low, then jumps once I floor it.

I figured I had a bad spark plug so I replaced the plugs and cables, Iíve had the nice 8mm cable set, this was a nice excuse to put it on. Changed old, vacuumed out the KN air filter Bla bla bla.. Basically changed everything I could then had a shop do the transmission and radiator. (Was not over heating but itís been a while and I had it in there anyways)

I think I saw somewhere that it might be the O2 sensor or other parts of the electrical. Everything sounds fine when I listen to it and once I floor it I even then have a oddly LOW RPM,

Anyone have any ideas before I break down and put it in the shop?

Thanks. Iím fairly new to doing things my self on my car, but if this is something I can try and fix my self, that would be much nicer on the pocket.

normal
08-12-2006, 09:29 PM
have you tried increasing the throttle from under the hood? its kinda hard for me to explain, someone might do a better job, but there is a small plastic piece that has a couple small cables to it that controls the throttle position i believe, it is to the right side of the engine, near the throttle body, and if you push it (it rotates on a bolt) it should increase the rpms...are there any check engine lights on?

Sprucegagt
08-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Do you have a "Service Engine Soon" light on?

lone_wolf025
08-13-2006, 06:21 AM
I'm gonna use my favorite line here.

Hook up a vacuum gauge and tell us what you see. Ya could have a clogged exhaust, among other things.

CompMageX01
08-13-2006, 06:10 PM
No check / service engine soon lights. Clogged exhaust?? Hmm well that sound beyond my ability to fix.

As for the throttle that was one of the things I was also worried about. I checked the plasic and the cabling. Seems a hair lose but I figured that was how it was supposed to be. I see how to tighten it. I guess I'll give that a bit of a try.

Time for round two of seeing what I can do.

b_massey02
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Sounds Like Clogged Exhaust, my car did the exact same thing when the catalytic converter died.