Door Locks [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Door Locks

eaglesrealm
08-13-2006, 07:46 PM
I recently started having issues with my door locks. I hit the lock button on the key fob, and you can hear the relay clicking, but the locks do not go. I assume this would not be some sort of stupid mode you can set your locks to? I know that you can change how they lock, etc. It does not lock going into gear anymore either.

Any suggestions??? My only thought was to replace the door lock relay.

tjc13
08-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I would replace the door lock relay. You can also check the relay by swapping it with another door lock/unlock relay in the driver side fuse panel.

slickjoe
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
I believe there is some fuses that involve the remote lock and the power locks.....i'd check them.

Firebirdnyc
08-16-2006, 08:20 PM
grab a multimeter and go at it. IF you hear the relay clicking then the contacts in the relay are closing so you are getting current going through. It might just be getting lost somewhere else, perhaps its not enough current. It cant be the fuses, fuses are usually before the relay. If the relay is clicking there is current there

tjc13
08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
grab a multimeter and go at it. IF you hear the relay clicking then the contacts in the relay are closing so you are getting current going through. It might just be getting lost somewhere else, perhaps its not enough current. It cant be the fuses, fuses are usually before the relay. If the relay is clicking there is current there

My relay that was bad clicked, but it didn't work.

eaglesrealm
08-16-2006, 10:53 PM
My relay that was bad clicked, but it didn't work.

So, I tried half heartedly to pull out the relay and it did not want to budge. Are they just in there really good? Should I put pliers to them to assist with the pull?

slickjoe
08-17-2006, 08:28 AM
I've never pulled the relay, but I'd make sure you have everything unattached to it. After checking that, I'd say to use pliers and give-er a good ol' tug.

Firebirdnyc
08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
if your relay was clicking it was operative, not neccesarily means its broken ( sorry i should of went into more detail). It might of closed with lower then battery voltage , high resistance

eaglesrealm
08-18-2006, 10:02 PM
I found that I can consistently get it to work if I put the slightest of pressure to the relay, pushing it towards the engine. If I reverse the pressure, it almost never works. Hopefully it's just a worn connection for one of the relay plugs.
Anyone know if you can get this at places other than the dealer or gm parts sites online? I would rather buy at AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc...

tjc13
08-19-2006, 07:52 AM
I got mine at the dealer. I can't remember how much it was. Or... You could try to find an AC Delco supplier. I have never checked at AutoZone, you could try though.

Firebirdnyc
08-19-2006, 11:44 AM
i personally like dealing with the dealer, at least the one i go to the guy is real cool and he gives me good prices

eaglesrealm
08-22-2006, 07:08 PM
i personally like dealing with the dealer, at least the one i go to the guy is real cool and he gives me good prices

A good price to a dealer is still a rip! :P Just kidding, you might be getting really good pricing if you know them. I try to never buy from there unless it is not available anywhere else and the car is out of warranty.

I ended up finding the Door Lock Relay for $10 at Autozone tonight and changed it. Works like a champ now!

Thanks all!