i think i messed up big time LIM R&R [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : i think i messed up big time LIM R&R

Firebirdnyc
08-15-2006, 03:28 PM
okay so i spent the whole weekend getting the car together. Finally sunday night i go to turn the car on after i wrap everything up and a buddy of mine spotted a fuel leak at the fuel rail. That damn small orange o-ring on the return line of the fuel rail started to leak. So i ended up ordering that o-ring from the dealer and finally got it today. Today i install it and wrap everything back up, i step into my car, turn the key. VROOM but then when it goes idle it dies. i turn it on again and give it gas... it revs up to 6000 but then when i let off the gas it stumbles and turns off. I checked everythinggggg, vacume lines and connectors. I am not sure what i did wrong. someone please help me ;crap

(p.s one thing that is not connected is that plastic tube that runs from the firewall side valve cover to the intake. My brother has an aftermarket CAI and i cant seem to get it on there. Doubt that is the problem

tjc13
08-15-2006, 07:18 PM
I would put that tube on as well as check to make sure that the throttle body is on tight.

Firebirdnyc
08-15-2006, 08:03 PM
thats another thing im having a hard time figuring out how that tube is put on..i know how to fit it in the fittings but the tube itself is bent a certain way and when i put one end on the valve cover the other end is way off of the hole on the intake. i'll try to do a few things with it tomorrow

i'll see if i take some pictures of the engine to see if anyone can spot a problem

Firebirdnyc
08-16-2006, 01:18 PM
the throttle body seems to be on tight.. tight enough where if you were to yank it around it wont move. My instructor told me the same, it might be a vacume leak somewhere. Everything seems to be on tight i even double checked the upper intake manifold . i actually got the car running long enough to get a check engine light, i know that you cant check codes like you can with obd1, ughh any suggestions???

Sprucegagt
08-16-2006, 01:28 PM
You can certainly check codes with OBDII, you just can't use the same procedure as OBDI. Code reader / scanner is mandatory with OBDII. I'm surprised your instructor doesn't already have one. Get a code reader / scanner and findout what code you have.

Firebirdnyc
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
my school has solus, modus and vantage pro (spelling?) But i cant get my car over there. I did this job at home not in school,

Firebirdnyc
08-17-2006, 06:08 PM
found it! damn throttle body gasket just happened to break where the IAC has its passage causing a nice leak

lone_wolf025
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Lessons learned:
1)Car repair has a tendency to bite ya in the arse when you're not looking
2)Gaskets blow
3)Sometimes the dumbest answer is the right one

digitalballz
08-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Lessons learned:
1)Car repair has a tendency to bite ya in the arse when you're not looking
2)Gaskets blow
3)Sometimes the dumbest answer is the right one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

AGREE 100%!!

tjc13
08-19-2006, 07:53 AM
found it! damn throttle body gasket just happened to break where the IAC has its passage causing a nice leak

So I was right in saying the throttle body ;)

Firebirdnyc
08-19-2006, 11:43 AM
yeh you and my instructor, he worked for gm ...btw he can do this job in 2 hrs without pulling 1 valve cover off

Sprucegagt
08-20-2006, 10:37 PM
yeh you and my instructor, he worked for gm ...btw he can do this job in 2 hrs without pulling 1 valve cover off

I know your not saying he can do a LIM gasket change without removing the valve covers. You can't get the LIM off without removing them.

wushdishmeen
02-18-2007, 12:33 AM
This is happening to me..

except i checked the fuel rail and everything. the car starts then dies then you hear "PSSST" really fast a second after the car dies. I cant pinpoint it but it seems to be more towards the back of the fuel rail...coil area.

it smells like fuel a little but i cant tell if thats from doing the LIM job and spilling fuel or if its caused by fuel leaking out...

Sprucegagt
02-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Then you have the same problem, a vacuum leak. Time to double check that you got all of your bolts tight. If they are good, then did you reused any old gaskets?

wushdishmeen
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I re-used only the EGR gaskets because they were in good condition.

The thing is the car starts great...then dies. A second after it dies you hear PSSST really fast and quick. I smell fuel but I can't tell. Ive taken the UIM back off twice now to check if I see any fuel near any of the injectors and i don't...

but i could be blind.

Three tubes on my car broke however but I didnt replace them only duct taped them.

tube from rear valve cover to intake
small hose from MAP sensor to top of FPR
hose from PCV? then the middle of it connects to TB then the other end connects to
the front valve cover.

Could these hoses being broken cause the car to stall? and the fact i smell fuel and that PSSST noise? Fuel did spill however during the LIM job and also taking the rail off to inspect it.

Sprucegagt
02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Check your other thread. You have multiple problems. The small hose from the MAP to the FPR must be fixed along with the hose to the PCV. Either one of them leaking will cause the car to stall. Also your injectors need to be seated right.