Need some advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Busted_GA
08-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey, I'm kinda looking for some advice. I'm not looking to stir up a bunch of crap or anything but I recently had a bad experience w/ a mechanic and was hoping some mechanic or shop owner or somebody could give me some adivce!! Basically I took it to a guy (supposably knew tons about GA's) with a very specific problem (I told him I suspected a head gasket). He looked at it for 2 minutes and said it was the LIM (I had it replaced maybe 4 years ago by the dealer). I wasn't keen on that and questioned him. He finally did a compression test (w/ the engine cold) and said they were good. Said he was sure its the LIM. Not being a mechanic what was I to say??? Anyway, he replaces the LIM for me. About 2 days later I get the same problem again!! I call and (this is gonna get long!!) he gives me the blow off answer "it must be your plugs". I change them to no avail. So he says "it must be your wires" I change them and the same thing (all along I'm saying this is the same issue I brought it to you for, if it was plugs or wires why did you do the LIM??). Anyway, the story goes on and on. Basically he can't find the issue and won't admit to bad work. Finally it gets so bad the car won't run. I call (rather pissed!!) and he wants $1500 to replace the engine!!!! Anyway, here is what I'm getting too. I took the engine apart myself (nothing to loose now!) and I have 2 cracked heads and a blown head gasket!! The guy swears I must have had 2 issues. But he fixed the LIM perfect so I'm out. Trouble is, the LIM was never bad, it was a blown head gasket like I suggested (I've have a different local mechanic look). So here's my problem. I spent about $700 to get this guy to fix some thing that didn't need it and he won't correct the real problem now. What do you all think I should do? Sue him? I think any respectable person would be sorry they screwed up and at least give your money back but he won't!!

This took place over about 3 months the majority of the time I was without a car and had to borrow one!!

Sorry for the long post but I thought the background info was important. Anybody have any suggestions?

fastdad1955
08-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Better Business Bureau... File a complaint on their website and list all your troubles. They will look into it and try to get something done about it. If he is found to be at fault then there is a process to go through to get satisfaction. It might take some time but it is cheaper than a lawsuit and it will be a black mark on his character when other people check him out, they will list all his problems and how he corrected them if he did.... to me that is worth more than paying a lawyer thousands to get back hundreds...

Sprucegagt
08-20-2006, 10:32 PM
What was your initial problem? Also did you get the compression numbers from the mechanic for each cylinder? If the head gasket was bad it would of shown then, especially with the engine cold.

lone_wolf025
08-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Looks like you wound up with the one type of mechanic that you never want to deal with: The parts changer. In any case you'll be lucky to wind up with anything back and suing probably wouldn't do you any good.

Busted_GA
08-21-2006, 12:10 PM
He showed me the numbers on the compression check. There were all fairly close but none where the same. Honestlly, I'd never even seen the numbers and wouldn't have a clue if they were good or bad. A couple were a little off and I asked about it be he seemed to think they were ok. How should I know!! (I've been don't alot more research since then though!!).

Initial problem was on startup, it would knock and run rough for a minute or so then smooth out. It would have no power till it warmed up a little. Everyone I talked to said that was likely coolant filing a cylinder (bad head gasket). He said the LIM would leak it in there. I've since learned thats probably not that likely though.

My wife wanted me to pay 2x as much and go to the dealer. Guess it would have been a great deal now that I think about it!!!

slickjoe
08-21-2006, 06:54 PM
You should give the guys name so no one else uses him as their mechanic to work on the car...

Busted_GA
08-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I really don't want to release the name till I've decided my plan of action yet. This guy has cost me a ton and I don't trust him. I even told him that I would be happy just getting back what I paid for labor, I know the parts cost him hard money. He wouldn't even do that, knowing he caused my motor to blow. Insisted he fixed what he did right. Don't matter though, Its like pulling in for new plugs but being out of gas too. So what if you filled the tank, it don't help the issue any !! Plus when that issue turns out to cause worse problems because a "mechanic" tells you its nothing!! Its pretty sad you can't get honest work done these days!!!

Anybody here ever sued a shop? I may do it just to keep others from being scammed, I'd rather loose money like that than pay a bad mechanic for nothing!!

Anybody in here own a shop yourself? Any words of wisdom from that side?

GTCrazy
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Dude, sorry to hear about your bad deal!! Maybe you can get him on some kind of tax thing. I've heard that you've gotta charge tax if your a "business". Is this some guys garage deal or a real true shop? Did he give you an invoice or something that you have proof what you paid him for? Also, you may need a license to work out of even a garage? Anybody else ever heard that? Anybody here w/ a garage "shop" that could confirm that? Not positive, just some ideas. Good luck with your car though!

lone_wolf025
08-23-2006, 10:12 AM
As nice an idea as suing might be, proving he damaged the car is gonna be awfully hard, so keep that in mind. Gather as much solid evidence as you can (wires broken or damaged way beyond wear and tear, messed up bolts or parts, etc) then decide your course of action.

Busted_GA
08-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Nobody else has any ingenious ideas? I really hate to just bend over and take it from a mechanic who won't stand behind his work!!

2000Gt Grand Am
08-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I really don't want to release the name till I've decided my plan of action yet. This guy has cost me a ton and I don't trust him. I even told him that I would be happy just getting back what I paid for labor, I know the parts cost him hard money. He wouldn't even do that, knowing he caused my motor to blow. Insisted he fixed what he did right. Don't matter though, Its like pulling in for new plugs but being out of gas too. So what if you filled the tank, it don't help the issue any !! Plus when that issue turns out to cause worse problems because a "mechanic" tells you its nothing!! Its pretty sad you can't get honest work done these days!!!

Anybody here ever sued a shop? I may do it just to keep others from being scammed, I'd rather loose money like that than pay a bad mechanic for nothing!!

Anybody in here own a shop yourself? Any words of wisdom from that side?

That sucks dude, i would definatly try to give this guy a bad name. Infact i would try to get a small group of people to picket infront of his shop telling people to not go there, i wouldnt know if thats the best thing but thats not right. Expecially when hes at fault for letting your motor to blow. So far i found Carmax to be really reliable in making sure my car has no problems, even tho they are a little on the expensive side & want to make tons of money like every1 else i found them to be the most honest. Heck, they actually 'find' (not create) problems i didnt even know about. It is hard to find a decent auto repair shop that is honest nowadays. Good luck with your Grand Am.

Busted_GA
08-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Well, I kinda want honest opinions. I'm sure people in here know this guy and I don't really care how nice he is to his buddies, he screwed me!!! Thats how I got tricked into dealing w/ him. Some guy gave me a tip to work w/ him and it turned out to just be some buddy of his trying to make him sound good. Check back tomorrow, if nobody has and other ideas that I can exercise I will post the name.

The fact is, nobody should deal w/ this guy w/o being real careful!! If you do, don't pay until your sure everything is perfect!!!!! He had a coolant leak on my car and opened it hot when I came to pick it up. It coated the whole front in coolant and he never even tried to wipe it up. I was there cleaning my own car cause he was a moron. Luckily I had alot of wax on it and the paint still seems ok. So after being there for an hour just to pick up the car I finally paid him just so I could leave. That was my big mistake. Two days later I had the same exact issue I paid him to fix. Now several months later I'm still w/o the car!!!!!! So be warned, not everyone who says they can fix a car can or should!!!!

slickjoe
08-25-2006, 08:12 AM
What I would do is park the grand am across the street, and Make a huge Sign saying "This car DROVE into this shop, and this car got TOWED out."

Busted_GA
08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey now thats a good idea!! If I could only drive it there!!

Anyway, guess I'm just gonna have to face the facts, I got screwed and it wasn't good!!!

Let this be the warning to you. Don't believe everyone that works out of their daddys garage just because they have a website someone made for them and have some buddy make "performance" parts for them!! Milzy or MMS is a scam!! Be careful what you get from there, he won't hold to his word or stand behind his work(unless its to claim he fixed it when he didn't!!!). His repair of my car has cost me over $1000 so far and my car isn't even running yet and has been busted for several months now!!

You may not believe me but when you get scammed, I'm gonna say "I told you so"!!!!

eric99gt
08-25-2006, 03:59 PM
interesting

Sprucegagt
08-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Hey now thats a good idea!! If I could only drive it there!!

Anyway, guess I'm just gonna have to face the facts, I got screwed and it wasn't good!!!

Let this be the warning to you. Don't believe everyone that works out of their daddys garage just because they have a website someone made for them and have some buddy make "performance" parts for them!! Milzy or MMS is a scam!! Be careful what you get from there, he won't hold to his word or stand behind his work(unless its to claim he fixed it when he didn't!!!). His repair of my car has cost me over $1000 so far and my car isn't even running yet and has been busted for several months now!!

You may not believe me but when you get scammed, I'm gonna say "I told you so"!!!!

That's a big surprise.

iceman
08-26-2006, 03:09 AM
Why are the posts from busted_ga and GTCrazy coming from the same IP???

Why create 2 usernames...???

nathan.roberts@adelphia.net registered to busted_ga

GTCrazy: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/213005/1 same story

Doesn't help your credibility by talking to yourself in a thread from different usernames.. I read your posts on here and other forums, you need to cut out the whining a bit and post some hard evidence of what's actually wrong with your motor right now.

Dude, sorry to hear about your bad deal!! Maybe you can get him on some kind of tax thing. I've heard that you've gotta charge tax if your a "business". Is this some guys garage deal or a real true shop? Did he give you an invoice or something that you have proof what you paid him for? Also, you may need a license to work out of even a garage? Anybody else ever heard that? Anybody here w/ a garage "shop" that could confirm that? Not positive, just some ideas. Good luck with your car though!

Rich
08-26-2006, 11:31 AM
also, you drove two and half hours on a suspected blown head gasket?

(http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uew Lk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=huntington&1s=in&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=dayton&2s=oh&2z=&r=f)

Busted_GA
08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Why are the posts from busted_ga and GTCrazy coming from the same IP???

Why create 2 usernames...???

nathan.roberts@adelphia.net registered to busted_ga

GTCrazy: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/213005/1 same story

Doesn't help your credibility by talking to yourself in a thread from different usernames.. I read your posts on here and other forums, you need to cut out the whining a bit and post some hard evidence of what's actually wrong with your motor right now.

Yeah so?? I knew Milzy would recognize the other username. Plus I had already created the other account before I found out he was on this site! I was just talking to myself to bump it up big deal. I wanted an ID to put the word out to be careful of Milzy and then walk away. I knew it would start a bunch of buddies sticking up for him and I didn't want to deal w/ it. Fact is Milzy screwed me and thats that, believe it or not.

What kind of hard evidence do you want? Come over, I'll show you the engine! Its got 2 cracked heads, there is no disputing that! I took it to milzy when it started to have a problem. Every other mechanic I've since talked to said that he never should have tried to fix the LIM but checked the heads (again my suggestion to Milzy).

And the comment on driving 2.5 hours, I did all the driving on it before I took it to Milzy, should have made his job easy! I towed it to his house for repair. Only drove it home after he said it was fixed. I did continue to drive it for the next 2 weeks since he kept saying it was nothing and telling me to change my plugs and wires!

Busted_GA
08-26-2006, 12:13 PM
also, you drove two and half hours on a suspected blown head gasket?

(http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uew Lk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=huntington&1s=in&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=dayton&2s=oh&2z=&r=f)

You may notice the previous post. I live in ohio. About 1.25 hours from Milzy. And no, I towed it to him!

Rich
08-26-2006, 12:50 PM
why are you lieing about your location then? it doesnt help your credibility.

Busted_GA
08-26-2006, 08:01 PM
why are you lieing about your location then? it doesnt help your credibility.

How do I "need" credibility???? What reason would I have to pick some random mechanic and make up a story? The fact is Milzy did the job(I got a invoice, I can show you if you would like), and now the heads are cracked(I can post a pic of that too if you don't know what they look like)! Getting on here isn't giving me my money back! I tried all that w/ Milzy already and it wouldn't work. He wouldn't even give back the cost of labor. This thread won't change any of that, I'm just warning others! Maybe someone has had a good experience, let them start a thread on that. Fact is I didn't and I thought it right to warn others. Take it or leave it. Personally I wish others had done the same for me. I've since learned that this isn't the first time this has happened to people.

Rich
08-27-2006, 10:44 AM
youre the first person to ever say anything bad about milzy (as far as i have seen.) and when all of your posts on here are talking about milzy and "what happened," you're talking to yourself in your own thread, and your lieing about your location its hard to take you seriously. please post the invoice and cracked heads.

O1GAGT
08-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I agree, I have yet to hear anything bad about Milzy's work, however there is a first for everything. I still don't see why you lied saying you were in Huntington, IN when you are really in OH.

I live approx 25 mins from Huntington, IN so I was suspecting a shop around there the whole time. If Milzy did in fact screw you over, post the recipts and problems pics of the cracked heads. If this is true I am sure Milzy will post his side of the story.

You say this isn't the first time? Who else has had a problem? We need facts, not speculation.

Busted_GA
08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
The whole point was to get honest replys from you people! If ya'll suspected I meant Milzy you'd have shot me down in 1 reply like you are now. This way I got a little more honest opinion. I fully planned on saying who I was eventually.

I've got the pics of the heads on another computer, I'll try to upload tomorrow. Honestly, thats not proving anything though I mean like you guys really know what car they came off. At some point you just gotta take a mans word.

Trust me there are others here and on other sites who have had trouble with him. I'll leave it to them to come out. If you search hard enough on Milzy you'll find it, I did after I'd already had the problems w/ him.

Mendoza
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I hope milzy post and explains his side of the story. Customer service plays a major role in a good business this should be no exception. Sounds like your warranty was only good until you walked out of the door. Thank you for sharing your experience.