fog lights turn on with the brake? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : fog lights turn on with the brake?

ryanbgb22
08-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Reciently i have realized that my fog lights will ocassionally turn on when the brake is applied. It seems that this happens when it is raining or damp out<no idea if this is really a cause> Also when the car is doing this, when the brake is applied my radio display almost disappears. I also have intermittent horn problems, if anyone has any ideas on a cause for this please let me know.

I did do that pcm wire cut inorder to disable drl's, but the wire is still solidly grounded, so i dont think that this could be a cause.

fastdad1955
08-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I did do that pcm wire cut inorder to disable drl's, but the wire is still solidly grounded, so i dont think that this could be a cause.

When did these problems start?? Was it after your DRL fix? Maybe you should make sure that things are like they're supposed to be, ie cut the correct wires in the correct location and ground the wires properly and securely???

Sounds to me like a bad ground somewhere and if you just cut wires to disable your DRL's then that would be the first place to check for problems instead of "ass" "u" "me" that the fix is OK....

ryanbgb22
08-19-2006, 11:28 PM
The problems started after the drl fix. However it wasnt until about 3 months after the problems started. I have it grounded to that light and everything is still secure.

Ajaxus
08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
the intermittent horn could be due to some water in the car, a few days drying out in the sun/heat should get rid of this problem. i had it a few weeks ago as well and it disappeared after sometime.

fastdad1955
08-20-2006, 12:27 AM
The problems started after the drl fix. However it wasnt until about 3 months after the problems started. I have it grounded to that light and everything is still secure.
Hopefully you got the dark blue wire at b4 in the middle connector. It might be possible that your wire splice is not making a good connection and sending resistance back through the BCM. Recheck the connectors and connections to be absolutely sure that they are good. I know of people having engine problems with factory connectors being weak after years of sitting in the elements...so it is possible for the connections to "look good" but might not be electrically good...

Case in point; I had to replace an alternator 6mths after bying my car, after the battery died. I saw that the battery connector to the alternator was not in top shape so I went to replace it. When I did, being the good electrician I thought myself to be I got a new connector and crimped it tight. So when the battery was recharged and installed I proceeded to check to see if I had fixed my problem. Well I did not so I had to solder the connection a couple of times since I was using a soldering iron outdoors and the wind was blowing all around the car that day but I finally got it fixed and now I am glad to say the problem did not return.

ryanbgb22
12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
well, like 3 months ago i found the cause of my problems but i forgot to give an update this whole time, the cause was the trailer wiring harness i got from uhaul. as soon as i cut the wires going from it to my taillights the problem was instantly fixed. I went to uhaul and asked for a new trailer harness and they refused to give me one since they didnt install it.