What now... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What now...

The_Wraith
08-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Ok, I have of '04 GT, it's out of warranty...

About 4 weeks ago I had to replace the blower motor resistor, since I lost 1-4 speed...

Well this morning I went to turn the defrost on (the windshield was fogged up this morning...) any way, I got nothing; 1-5 are all dead. WTF??? Now correct me if I'm wrong but if the resistor went again speed 5 would still work right?

I checked the fuse, and it's good. So I'm going out later and see if I can test the voltage on the fan connector (unless you guys tell me speed 5 might not work with a blown resistor.) I hope I don't have to buy a damn fan....no telling how much that would cost. The thing is the last time I had the fan on (A/c) was last week and it was working fine

Sprucegagt
08-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Nope, setting 5 should always work. It should be a straight 12 volts DC to the fan. I would check your connector on the resistor board though for moisture.

The_Wraith
08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Nope, setting 5 should always work. It should be a straight 12 volts DC to the fan. I would check your connector on the resistor board though for moisture.

thanks, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure... I'm going out in a bit and check for voltage at the fan connector... I can't belive the fan would just go with out any warning/issues's before hand...

Anyone have any ideal what one of these cost? I tried looking it up on Advance and autozone site, but they don't list them, I also looked on GMPartsDirect, but after I add it to my cart and do a proceed to check out (so I can see the price) it comes back and says the part number in invalid.

Sprucegagt
08-22-2006, 07:59 AM
It's been years since I bought mine but I think it was around $20 - 25.

The_Wraith
08-22-2006, 08:03 AM
Well, I went out, grabed my muitl-meter, and took the 2 screws out of the plastic panel under the dash.... I then turned the power on and gave the motor a couple of taps, nothing... (worth a try)
So I was going to unhook the power connector to the fan to test for voltage, but looked like the connector would be a pain to remove with the fan in place, so since the fan is so easy to take out (took it out to replace resistor 4 weeks ago) I removed the 3 screws holding the fan, and then lowered the fan from the housing. Before I tried to remove the power connector, I thought I would try the fan one more time (don't know why).

Well any way it worked... WTF????;psycho

So I put the fan back up, held it there before I put the screws back in, and tried it again, still works, put the screws back in, and put the plastic panel back. Tested fan again, still works...

So I don't know what the issue was... working fine again now... hmmmm

The_Wraith
08-22-2006, 08:12 AM
It's been years since I bought mine but I think it was around $20 - 25.

That sounds cheap for a Fan motor...

Sprucegagt
08-22-2006, 08:17 AM
It's just a basic DC motor. Not much to it.

99GTCoupe
08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask this, cause my 1 and 2 speed for the HVAC don't work, but 3-5 are fine

Ajaxus
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask this, cause my 1 and 2 speed for the HVAC don't work, but 3-5 are fine

in your case it's just the resistor.

iceman
08-22-2006, 10:53 AM
This topic again? see sticky. this thread title sucks