sunroof options [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : sunroof options

archillasvante
08-22-2006, 12:20 PM
I plan on paying off my GA and keeping it for quite a few years... One of the few options that the car didn't have when I bought it was a sunroof.

Is it possible to get one put in?

What are the pros and cons?

LoboMan7409
08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Con, I have one and the edging around the out side is starting to peel off.

99GTCoupe
08-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Pro: They rock! ^.^

99GAGTX
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Pro: It cools off the car faster in the hot summer by letting the heat escape through the roof.

Pro: You can get fresh air into the car while driving down the freeway without having to open the window(s) and dealing with the loud wind noise and 65mph wind in your face. If you find that a problem.

Con: Many thieves use it as an access point into your car.

Pro: looks cool.

cmtapanes
08-22-2006, 07:09 PM
I would love to have a sun roof on my SE, I was even thinking on cutting one out from a GT. Getting all the parts from a junk yard.

Graxall
08-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Con: Finding someone to cut your roof and install a sunroof without their ever being leaks is risky and very expensive and almost not worth all the pro's listed.

LoboMan7409
08-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Con: Finding someone to cut your roof and install a sunroof without their ever being leaks is risky and very expensive and almost not worth all the pro's listed.

Good point, same reason why instead of having my windshield replaced I just have it repaired, you can never get the same seal from anything as good as factory.

Graxall
08-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Good point, same reason why instead of having my windshield replaced I just have it repaired, you can never get the same seal from anything as good as factory.
Well that i 50% agree 50% dont. I had my windsheild replaced and its been fine, you just have to find the right place. You might have to spend a bit of money(around 350 for window and install is wat i payed) but it will be worth it in the end. Theres a lot of things to deal with in windsheilds/sunroofs. Sealant/Moldings/right tools lol...I dont think anyone on this site has dared to cut their roof to install a sunroof tho.

archillasvante
08-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't know if they would... but what if I could get a GM dealer to do it? They would have to adhere to GM quality standards (*laugh*) but it would probably be the best I could get.

Graxall
08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know if they would... but what if I could get a GM dealer to do it? They would have to adhere to GM quality standards (*laugh*) but it would probably be the best I could get.
Then you would pay triple what the car is worth lol..Just roll down the windows and rock out wit your...yea well just have fun..not worth the aggrivation..not to mention ull be without a car for prolly a week lol..

Mirage85
08-23-2006, 10:51 AM

I had asked this question to a dealer before. They told me it can be done, but, dealers don't do it. They load the car up and send it to another place to be done, then charge you the handling fees. So its easier to just take the car somewhere yourself.

I would take it to a large place that does roofs, not some mom and pop place out in the boonies. Make sure they warrenty their work not to leak. And if it does leak, they fix it for free.

I have heard that they are alot better at sealing roofs now than they used to be.

I have a sun roof and love it, but it came in the car. I wouldnt have bought it if it didnt have one. It was my first new car, and the first with a sun roof for me. I can say that every car I own from now on will have one, unless I get something like the new challenger or 350z or something where its not an option.

Firebirdnyc
08-23-2006, 08:35 PM
t-tops baby! haha, sunroof is the last best thing :), better then a hardtop though