Lightning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lightning

JDVeron
08-23-2006, 07:59 AM
. I have a problem with one and was hoping you might be able to help. I own a 99 pontiac Grand Am GT with the 3400 -auto trans and last sat night while driving down the hwy it was struck by LIGHTNING. It hit the radio ant. on the rear and blow out both rear tires. The cars electric system was doing strange things, lights staying on, flashers on, gages reading 65 mph dash lights on , all with the key off and out so I towed it home. Sunday I pulled the battery out and put it on a charger for 6 hours, reinstalled it. All the electrical system seem to reset and the car cranked over as normal but would not start. then I tried a small amount of starting fluid and it started right up but died. I now have read up some on the passlock system and this seems to me to be the problem however the security light does not flash, it stayes on. Everthing I read talks about the light flashing not staying on. I've tried key on 5 min, 20 min, 1 hr and still nothing. Also the fuel gage does not read right, tanks full and it reads empty. At one point after leaving the key on for 30 min, then turning it to off and then tring to start it the security light did not come on but it still did not start and now its back on. Im getting stumped. Any insight you might have would be a big plus and appreciated.

TJGuitarZ
08-23-2006, 08:22 AM
.. time to file an insurance claim.

Sprucegagt
08-23-2006, 08:31 AM
.. time to file an insurance claim.

Agreed. The electrical system in the car is fubared.

archillasvante
08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
aren't you glad you were grounded by that rubber...

Graxall
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Jesus H. Why are u worried so much about a car, you just got struck by lightning.. arent the odds like 1 in like 10million or something rediculous lie that. Im sure they are higher for a car but still thats amazing..were there other drivers near you when it happened to see? That would be the scariest and coolest thing ever to see...

lone_wolf025
08-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Just hope that "acts of God" are covered under your insurance.

Sprucegagt
08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Jesus H. Why are u worried so much about a car, you just got struck by lightning.. arent the odds like 1 in like 10million or something rediculous lie that. Im sure they are higher for a car but still thats amazing..were there other drivers near you when it happened to see? That would be the scariest and coolest thing ever to see...

Actually you are pretty safe from lighting while in your car. In fact it's one of the safest places you could be.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm

Braves299
08-23-2006, 11:17 AM
OT, but I bet you if you got a picture of that at the exact same moment, you'd be a shoe-in for the calendar!

tenspeed
08-23-2006, 11:38 AM

Actually, rubber is non-conductive. That doesn't matter to lightning. It can travel down from the clouds so six inches of wet rubber won't do much.

Lightning frys everything. If they don't total the car, you'll be stuck with problems in every electrical system.

Mirage85
08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
OT, but I bet you if you got a picture of that at the exact same moment, you'd be a shoe-in for the calendar!

Yeah, wouldn't even have to vote, you know everyone would pick it anyway.

Let us know what your insurance company says.

2002GT
08-23-2006, 12:21 PM
i thought lightning comes from the ground up, not the clouds?

Sprucegagt
08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
i thought lightning comes from the ground up, not the clouds?

It does.

Phuxed
08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
^^lol glad you're ok though, hope everything works out with insurance so you're not SOL on your car.

JDVeron
08-23-2006, 07:10 PM
this is my 18 year old daughters car who was driving it down to school to start her first year at collage when this happened. I bought it for her when she turned 16 and paid cash because she can't afford full coverage ins. so only carries liability (Ins won't cover it)
She now wants to quit collage, First week and is very distraught.
Tires have steel belts. electric went through the belts and seperated all the plys in the rubber

JDVeron
08-23-2006, 08:30 PM
A moving thunderstorm gathers another pool of positively charged particles along the ground that travel with the storm. As the differences in charges continue to increase, positively charged particles rise up taller objects such as trees, houses, and telephone poles. Have you ever been under a storm and had your hair stand up? Yes, the particles also can move up you! This is one of nature's warning signs that says you are in the wrong place, and you may be a lightning target!

The negatively charged area in the storm will send out a charge toward the ground called a stepped leader. It is invisible to the human eye, and moves in steps in less than a second toward the ground. When it gets close to the ground, it is attracted by all these positively charged objects, and a channel develops. You see the electrical transfer in this channel as lightning. There may be several return strokes of electricity within the established channel that you will see as flickering lightning.

JDVeron
08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
There were 4 other cars driving near her at the time, not one stopped

Phuxed
08-23-2006, 08:37 PM
There were 4 other cars driving near her at the time, not one stopped
I know they dont have to, but that still bugs me, I always try to. I was on I-475 about a month ago at night going to visit my gf and there was a pretty good size rain storm goin on. A white GA lost control and hit the median(thats what they told me at least). I saw them on the side of the road, stopped and got out in the rain in my pj pants with the maglite. Waited until they got a hold of someone before I left. Now that I look back, I probably looked rediculous getting out of my car lol

Mike Jung
08-24-2006, 05:43 AM
:wtf :nono:

JDVeron
08-25-2006, 07:13 AM
found out it needs a new computer (ECM) new alt. and 4 tires. The computer has to be programed to the car, installed and then we will see what else is wrong, hoping it doesn't burn up the new computer. They say "it could get ugly very fast"
better than slow I guess

slickjoe
08-25-2006, 09:07 AM
It porbably wouldn't do anything but I would check every single fuse on the car. Everything probably is fried but it won't hurt to check all the fuses. Lol while we are on the topic of lightning, I was riding down the road with my mom in a hunk of junk PT cruiser and lightning struck like two feet in front of the car.