Car won't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

resevil83
08-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I did a head gasket replacement on my 01 grand am. I put everything back, replacing all the gaskets. I torqued everything down to spec, and I connected all sensors. I tested the fuel delivery before I put the upper intake manifold on. Yea it was working, it squirted my friend when he pressed on the black cap thing on the end. Anyways, I put in a brand new battery and starter. The car doesnt seem to want to turn over. It keeps reerrrin but no go. What gives?

lone_wolf025
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Just to clarify: New starter, new batt, and fuel. So its cranking but not starting or not turning at all?

resevil83
08-24-2006, 12:00 PM
it's cranking. I put the car on the on acc position and the gas gauge goes up to about a quarter tank left. The thing is the cars been sitting for a month and a half now. The car cranks and cranks but it doesnt want to start for some reason. My friend said that he would bring over a spark tester, he said it connects between the boot and the plug and if it lights up when I crank, we know we are getting spark.

He told me that it might be a relay, a fuse, or a sensor. What can I do to check theses? Rent an obdII from auto zone?! I checked several fuses and all the fuses I checked look good to me. Are there any I can pull to check that might be the cause of my car not starting? And the relays, I don't know how to test those. My intake was a punk trying to put back on and I was thinking that maybe I stretched one of the wires too far?

And lastly would the car even crank if I didn't put the starter wires on right. I'm almost 100% positive that I did, but I figured I'd just ask.

stangdude
08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
renting an OBDII scanner from the 'zone will NOT allow you to check sensors and fuses. It will only tell you why the "check engine" light is on. I agree it could be a sensor. check to make sure all the harnesses are hooked back up and are tight to all the sensors. a disconnected cam sensor or would definately cause the condition you have. If it ran fine before the work, replacing head gaskets would not result in a no-start condition. I'd just go over the engine with a fine-tooth comb and make sure everything is re-connected tight and correct.

Sprucegagt
08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Are you sure you got all the connectors installed on the ignition module. There should be three (1 passenger side big, 2 driver side small). If one of the 2 small connectors is off it will not start and you won't get a check engine light.

timka86
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
^^^ i agree with him, I think it's related to not getting spark. cuz if you said you're getting fuel, and if you think you're getting spark, it should at least sputter.

then also There's a large harness, right behind the alternator, it's for the fuel injectors, is it plugged in?

resevil83
08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
bingo, thanks guys. It was a small sensor right on the coil pack. It started right up. Only problem is, one of the injectors is leaking. (I'm having it towed) I can't work on my car any longer. (no time) Those injectors are a MAJOR PITA to seat in there. Is there a special tool for that? Or is that called a hammer! :)

lastryghts
08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
did you replace the Orings?

Sprucegagt
08-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Did you oil the O-ring on each injector along with each injector bore in the LIM? I did this and it went in no problem.