Running on E-mpty [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Running on E-mpty

2000Gt Grand Am
08-24-2006, 10:23 AM
This is sort of a dumb question but i wanted to know if your needle was directly on E how much gas would you have left? I was just curious because i only go to Shell or Amoco to put premium in & it would seem pointless to go to another gas station just to put in like 2$ worth of gas just to go to the gas station i prefer. Usually i refill when im in the middle of a 1/4th of a tank, but occassionally i would get really close to the E & most of the time i would go to any gas station just to throw in a couple bucks so i can get to a Shell.

lone_wolf025
08-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Dunno how much you got left but lets put it this way. The light comes on you better go looking for gas within the next few miles.

2000Gt Grand Am
08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Dunno how much you got left but lets put it this way. The light comes on you better go looking for gas within the next few miles.

lol i always try to do that.

Ajaxus
08-24-2006, 10:47 AM
i'll put it an even better way. if you continuously let that light come on, you better start looking for a mechanic to replace your fuel pump.

2000Gt Grand Am
08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
i'll put it an even better way. if you continuously let that light come on, you better start looking for a mechanic to replace your fuel pump.

Oh i know it, there are some other factors too as im told. I used to fill gas at the cheapest places & it caused my fuel filter to get dirty as well as my pump went out shortly after. I did constantly let that light come on too so that didnt help.

tenspeed
08-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Using the needle position isn't very accurate.

I always fill my tank when it needs it and zero the trip odo. I know how many MPG's I get and how miles I can go on 14 gallons.

My "Low Fuel" light comes on with about two gallons left.

2000Gt Grand Am
08-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Using the needle position isn't very accurate.

I always fill my tank when it needs it and zero the trip odo. I know how many MPG's I get and how miles I can go on 14 gallons.

My "Low Fuel" light comes on with about two gallons left.

Yea, i noticed that lol. I do use the trip odo to figure out how many mpg i can go on but even then thats not entirely accurate considering my driving patterns are random. Got another ?. In the 07' Chevy Cobalt it shows you, estimating how many miles you have left on your gas before it runs out, is it possible to get a feature like that put into a car that doenst have it? Im assuming it wouldnt be cheap for somethin like that.

Sprucegagt
08-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Runnin on empty,
Runnin on,
Runnin around (Yeah)
Runnin into the sun but I'm running behind.

Thanks for putting this song in my head, its driving me nuts right now.

Back on topic. It's usually not a good thing to regularly get the tank real low. But what your doing now shouldn't hurt anything. When the gauge is on "E" you usually have only 1-2 gallons left

iceman
08-24-2006, 12:17 PM
light comes on at 13% fuel left in the tank