oil drain plug wont unscrew? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : oil drain plug wont unscrew?

Gizm0815
08-24-2006, 04:16 PM
cant seem to get the damn thing to loosen at all any ideas or sugestions i know its suposed go counterclockwise but the damn thing wont budge. i do have a compresser i could use i havent tried that i wouldnt think it would be on this tight its my 1st time doing my own oil.

any help is appreciated

thanks,
joe

resevil83
08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
I think its a 15mm? or 13? who knows. but take that socket and go to autozone or a parts store and buy a breaker bar. That or get a tube from menards or whatever to slip over the end of your wrench. A breaker bar is longer and that gives you more leverage. You will need this to get the bolt off the first time. When putting the bolt back in make sure you hand tighten it and then take the regular length wrench and do a quarter of a turn. You do not want to strip the threads on the pan!

When I get home I can take a picture of a breaker bar for you. The guys at the store will know what you are talking about. Most breaker bars have a bigger end for larger sockets, so you may need an adapter piece. That's why you should bring your socket to the store with you!

Make sure you are going counter clockwise! Most important thing right there :)

Gizm0815
08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
ya im going counter clockwise and i know what i breaker bar is i dont own one but may soon. i just tried the compresser and from 90psi i couldnt break it free. all this cuz im trying to do it myself for the same price instead of paying some one to do it sometimes it better to let other do work for you.

rockfan0005
08-24-2006, 04:47 PM
ya im going counter clockwise and i know what i breaker bar is i dont own one but may soon. i just tried the compresser and from 90psi i couldnt break it free. all this cuz im trying to do it myself for the same price instead of paying some one to do it sometimes it better to let other do work for you.
try doing it after you've run the engine for a little while, I've had the problem where it's to tight before and that worked quite well. But the oil can get pretty hot so be very careful.

B0000rt
08-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Get a soldering torch and heat it up abit

Gizm0815
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
got it fixed found a piece of pipe and sliped it over the ratchet and beat on it sucker was on there good and its changed finally nice to know one more thing ive personally maintained on my car.

Sprucegagt
08-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Get a soldering torch and heat it up abit

Not a good idea.

LoboMan7409
08-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I think that breaker bar is gonna be the best bet just get some more leverage

MagusXIII
08-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Not a good idea.
Agreed 200%. Of course, I am surprised that an impact wrench would have some issues as well. But then, the quality of the wrench has a lot to do with it. I have not yet found anything that my Ingersoll-Rand IR231 impact gun could not remove.

If anybody has not yet mentioned it, only use 6pt sockets on the drain plug. Because if they do tighten up from being cold like Rockfan mentions, your basic 12pts would round off the drain plug head very darn fast.