Opinions Please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please

99GTCoupe
08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
The question:
If I had $5,000 right now to spend on my car, what would you all suggest I get done? I currently have a K&N drop-in filter and GM High Performance plugs/wires.
My thoughts have been:
20% tint - $180
SC/T Bodykit - $700
SC/T Hood - $780
SC/T Spoiler - (damnit I can't find a price, lost the link ><, so this is a guess) $300
DHP PCM - $200
DS Stage 3 CAI - $200
SLP cat-back full exhaust - $400
*S&S Headers - $500
*OR
*MMS Headers - $800
Ventshade Headlight Covers - $50
PIAA Platinum Super White Bulbs - $70
Corvette brake upgrade - $400+
Custom Paint Job - $400+

Here's those things listed in order of importance for the Show and Go categories
All Show:
20% tint - $180
SC/T Bodykit - $700
SC/T Hood - $780
SC/T Spoiler - (damnit I can't find a price, lost the link ><, so this is a guess) $300
Ventshade Headlight Covers - $50
PIAA Platinum Super White Bulbs - $70
Custom Paint Job - $400+
Corvette brake upgrade - $400+

All Go:
DHP PCM - $200
DS Stage 3 CAI - $200
SLP cat-back full exhaust - $400
*S&S Headers - $500
*OR
*MMS Headers - $800

The reason:
Essentially, I will be getting money from a will when I turn 25. I would like to spend some money on my car, upgrading and such, but do want to limit my spending. As I have always said, 'Show' presides over 'Go' to a point. I know I want a full SC/T mod, blacked out headlights, new tails, 20% tint, a custom paint job, and possibly the Corvette brake upgrade. For 'Go', I want at least a Stage 3 CAI and full cat-back exhaust system. I don't want to spend too much on performance, just enough to give my car some extra pick up. I would rather have a car that looks great and that I can take to shows. (I also forgot to list Eibach Pro-Springs kit and probably KBY struts).

Sorry if this is all messed and worded strange. I'm at work and trying to help ppl and write this up. And boy am I tired, to boot. Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

EDIT: DAMNIT! hehe, forgot about 18 inch black rims and some good arse tires to wrap them in :)

pyro
08-28-2006, 06:54 PM
id say search around and get what you like. theres no point dropping 5 g's on a grand am...see if it holds up 2 more years, by that time it will be 9 years old. id save up for a better car rather than dump anything on the grand am. everyone is going to say the same, its all up to you.

Phuxed
08-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm gonna agree with pyro on this one. I think it'd be different if you were doing this within the next few months/year, but in two years I think a lot will change. Ultimately it is up to you though.

I can't say completely don't mod a 99 GA because I'm doing the same thing, lol. But try to be realistic about it and think about long term. I'm tryin to get my GT conversion done before winter and I want to go SC/T in the spring, but before I drop money on that whole kit/hood, I plan on having my whole car looked at by a good mechanic and see if there are any huge problems sneakin up on me. That's why I'm holdin off till spring on the SC/T, want to see how she does this winter and make sure I think it will be worth it. Other than that and probably a CAI and SLP catback, I wont be doing too much expensive stuff to my GA, just want to make it look nice and keep it in good condition as a Daily Driver for when I have enough saved for the '72 vette.

Also a good idea if you're hesitant about modding but the cash is burnin a hole in you're pocket...go out and buy a necessary tool or two. That's what I do when I have the urge to spend money on the car that I shouldn't. I go and buy a tool that I'll need and use for years to come. That way if you end up with a new car your not out any money because you've still go t the ratchet set/jackstand/PC/etc to use on the next car. Tools: always a good investment :thumbs:

99GTCoupe
08-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah, true, I know. I wouldn't mind getting a new car, would only really drop a decent down payment plus some on a new car, just depends on what I and my gf could afford monthly. This is all theoretical, of course. If my car is dying I wouldn't spend the money, but if it's still running strong and looks great, then I would still probably go for style over performance, like I said. I hope to at least get tint sometime soon. The biggest things I really want, though, is the SC/T stuff ^.^

My bottom line goal with my car is to keep it up and keep it worth something, without putting a ton of money into it (not including regular maintenence of course). And I don't plan to put a whole bunch into the car in/out or under the hood unless it's really worth it. I just plan to keep this car for a long time, cause I just love it :)

EDIT:
Gotcha Josh, just like I said earlier in this post :) I wouldn't mind some good tools in the meantime, like a decent jack and such. I have family that has a good amount of tools, so I shouldn't have to get anything really, but my own would be nice. At least have a good foundation for myself would be good.
And I would DEFINATELY be having everything checked out maintnence wise first! Making sure the car runs normal is always my first goal with any car I have :)

Also, OLD VETTES FTW!!!!!
I want a 69 Stingray, though ^.^ I could buy one outright with the money I get, but I really don't feel like spending all my money just on one car rofl, $40k+ price tags = ouch lol

Mirage85
08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
I agree as well, Its a 99... not even worth $5k....

I was lucky enough to find a brand new 05 in march, so I can justify putting some money into, but still not like alot of guys on here do. Other than wheels and tires in the spring, and I am getting HID's in one way shape or form, I have everything I want.

Save up for a new car, or trade the GA in if you can afford too now, youll be glad you did.

99GTCoupe
08-28-2006, 07:32 PM
I forgot to throw this in there, but honestly as long as my car runs great and I keep it washed and waxed, the paint and interior is great, etc, I am happy. Maintenece first, always. Don't get me wrong, I have great plans for it, but if it would be better to just get a different play car eventually, then I'd do so. I don't want to part with my GA but if it's the best thing to do, I shall.

What I hate, though, is the really nice sports cars (like 3000GTs and such) aren't made anymore. I'd love a 3000GT Twin Turbo, but they would even be a 99 at the youngest >< Is there any sports cars that would still be 'worth it' to put money into in a couple years?

Phuxed
08-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Also, OLD VETTES FTW!!!!!
I want a 69 Stingray, though ^.^ I could buy one outright with the money I get, but I really don't feel like spending all my money just on one car rofl, $40k+ price tags = ouch lol
Yeah, the vette is the main reason I hang onto the GA. I mean I love my GA, don't get me wrong, but if it had to go I would be lookin at a G6 GTP or maybe that ever-so-popular-with-former-GA-owners GTO. Bottom line my next car is either something new/ALMOST new or the vette...and a new car would put the vette on hold.

Yeah, I loved the Stingray style since before I even knew what it was. '72 convertable! Last year for the chrome trim too. It's gotta be at least '75 or earlier though because that was the last year for the convertable for awhile. I don't really want to buy it completely restored eitehr if I don't have to because then I can get more pride out of it by saying, "look how I cleaned this up" rather than "look what someone else did that I just bought" so that brings the price down a little usually.

Mirage85
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Is there any sports cars that would still be 'worth it' to put money into in a couple years?

99+ Firebird Trans Am.... that would be worth it.... but the 02's sell now for what they were selling brand new in 02..... so when the new camaro comes out, these prices should fall... but it would still be a fun car to have for years and years.

In the next couple years, my girlfriend and I (when we get married) plan to buy a new challenger, or camaro or something, and keep it forever. Just slowly mod it over the years, then we will have a bad arse car when we retire, lol.

If things work out, we would like to get a vette comparable to the new Z06, but we will see, want to build a house too.... and thats more important than a vette.

badboy2451
08-28-2006, 09:04 PM
i say go head and do some modding...i wouldn't recommend spending all $5000 on your car but have some fun and make it stand out in the crowd

atleast thats what i think *shrugs*

2000Gt Grand Am
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
I would think that if your grand am was in great condition you could upgrade it to your liking but its hard to tell if your car is going to last you. I would probably do one upgrade at a time, keep enough money incase you need to buy a new car so your not screwed but at the same time you can do one upgrade when you have the money for it. I maintain my car so well i might be able to do upgrades & not have to worry about any major problems. My mechanic says my car is in awesome condition and if it wasnt an 00' like maybe an 04' he said that my car would be like i just drove it off the lot.

Of course its mainly because of preventive maintaince, i had my spark plugs replaced b4 it really needed it (actually my car told me it needed to be checked), the serpetine belt was replace cuz it was worn & i had an extremely small coolant leak that i had fixed right away (my mechanic actually found it while i was doin an oil change). While that probably doesnt say much i can say i never had any problems while operating the car other then the hazard switch issue & the passlock system was malfunctioning. The performance is still top notch & i usually change my oil even tho its probably not necessary. I probably should do a coolant flush because its starting to look a little funky, but i think its still good for awhile. Well thats enough about my car, its up to you if you wanna do stuff to your car, i would start from the more practical things to do to your car to the more expensive upgrades. While seeing whether or not your car is worth the expensive upgrades (by goin to a trusted mechanic) you shoudnt have wasted your money.

Also too the amount of mileage on your car would factor, if you have well over 200K on your car i probably wouldnt do very many upgrades, unless you have the money & the time to constantly fix things on your car. Another thing, if you tend to race your car alot or do hard accelerations that could reduce the life of your car. Its actually amazing how many ppl dont realize that. So unless you plan on strictly using your car for just racing (and you may have to do extra preventative maintence for that too) i wouldnt race it too much. I think once in awhile is fine but doing it like every friday night can be hard on your car.

Sorry for the long speech there, lol.

99GTCoupe
08-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I see that and I know about the racing around being hard on your car :) I try to keep it easy and just keep with the flow; just every once in awhile I need to pile a little extra accel/speed on :D BTW - 120k miles current

Anyways, I would love a 2002 Trans Am fully loaded to play with hehehe, but even more my '69 Vette. If I didn't go with a new Pontiac, the 02 TA would be my choice ^.^ Like I said, this is all theoretical and keeping my baby running in normal tip-top condition is my first priority over upgrades :thumbs:

Oh, and as for Vettes:
Make mine a 1969 Stingray, Targa top, all black, with the 427 Big-Block Tri-Power V8 :drool:
Not fully restored, just mostly, cause I want to work on that baby myself. Only thing that would be required is major components like the engine, suspension, trans, etc can't be overly in need of restoration cause I don't know how to do all that. Granted I'd love to learn and work on it, but we'll have to see how things go. I do plan to work on cars somewhat to do modding (with the GA or whatever I have) in any case. I may be a comp geek but I do love my cars :D

Anyways, 69 Vette, MANUAL!!!, all black with white and blue with hints of purple flames on the front travelling up the hood and sides a few ways. Then, my original plans for a 69 Vette were convert it to AWD for extra pick-up, throw in a even more powerful engine (I was under the assumption that the top stock cop engine was better, but I was young, need I say more? lol), same paint job, leather interior, solid chrome skull shifter knob with two small rubies for the eyes, T-Tops (Targa FTW, though!), and I can't remember what else. But then a wise woman (my gf) brought me to realize that original is better! (duh) So, I banished the idea of a different engine and of the AWD (hmmm.......) and came back to reality a bit :D

Anyways, my rambling has ended. Time to go hump a 69 Vette pic ^.^

cmtapanes
08-28-2006, 10:55 PM
I would recomend using that 5k for school if you still on college or usit for a down payment on a house.

I only invest on my GA because is paid for and I don't want car payments on a new one and I dont want a full cover insurance eather. I just spend money on my car to make it look good and have it running for a long time.

Don't put all the eggs on the same basket. Use the money for something that would be worth something later on life.

I SOUND LIKE MY GRAND MOTHER :)

99GTCoupe
08-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, my gf and I plan to actually buy a house off of a county auction, just having to pay what's owed (taxes or to a bank, forclosures and such). You can get really great houses for cheap just because people didn't want to pay even property taxes :) Also, I will be done with my first degree (just a AAS in Comp Info Sys) in three semesters (six classes). I don't have to worry about paying for college really cause my job reimburses for college expenses (and yeah, it's a CIS type job). A new car would be nice, and I have a kid on the way with my gf. We are planning on getting married at the Mich Ren Fest next year or the year after; and we would like a Saturn Vue Hybrid for out next car (my two-door plus her 01 Saturn SC1 coupe don't cut it with another kid lol, plus her trade in value is more than mine).

Believe me, I know what comes first, family and living. My car can wait as long as it's kept up, and I will even trade it in for something better (better yet, though, is sell it for more than they will give me lol). They only rough spot we have is that my gf is trying to find a job (hers wasn't cutting it and she left over some total BS), but luckily I make enough to cover all our expenses, but not much more :(

Phuxed
08-29-2006, 05:01 AM
MANUAL!!!
well of course...it just wouldn't be respectable to get that car in anything but a standard...:applause:

chosen_one
09-27-2006, 11:03 PM
buy a GTO!! lol those things are awesome i love how they look

SikMindz
09-27-2006, 11:16 PM
If you're looking to repaint your entire car for a "custom paint job" a decent job alone, unless you know somebody in the business, will cost you roughly $3-4.5G's. Rims and tires? Looking at at LEAST 1K. I'm assuming you're not going to do all the work yourself, or you wouldn't be asking these questions so don't forget labor and installation for exhaust and headers.

Methinks you need to do some recalculating.