brake problem......soft and far traveling pedal [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : brake problem......soft and far traveling pedal

tommyortom
08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
On my 99 Malibu...I needed to replace the front rotors because they were getting very worn out. So I replaced those and the pads since I could just exchange them because they have a lifetime warranty.

When I finished replacing everything and took out my car...the pedal is now really soft and travels to the floor. You have to push it all the way to really get the car to stop hard. I bled all of the brakes twice and it is still soft and travels far.

Prior to replacing the pads and rotors, my brake system had no problems. Any suggestions on what to look for? This is really bothering me...ecspecially since my new struts and mounts are in!!!

timka86
08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
sounds like you got air in the system. bleed the brakes.

2000Gt Grand Am
08-28-2006, 08:27 PM
did you try bleeding the brakes in reverse.. i heard that works sometimes.

Sprucegagt
08-28-2006, 09:24 PM
did you try bleeding the brakes in reverse.. i heard that works sometimes.

:wtf What are you talking about?

Tommyortom: If you were just changing the pads and rotors I would not of bleed the brakes. Instead you should of just used a big c-clamp to just push the caliper piston back into the caliper. But that's for next time.

For now, how did you bleed the brakes? Be very specific.

tommyortom
08-29-2006, 07:10 AM
:wtf What are you talking about?

Tommyortom: If you were just changing the pads and rotors I would not of bleed the brakes. Instead you should of just used a big c-clamp to just push the caliper piston back into the caliper. But that's for next time.

For now, how did you bleed the brakes? Be very specific.
That's what I did....I used a big clamp to push the piston back in. That is what I have always done to do brakes.

My bleeding process was to start at the rear pass wheel, then rear drivers wheel, then front pass wheel, then front drivers wheel. I did the normal pump the brake and hold it in, open the bleeder valve, close it real quick, then let go of the brake. I did this 2 or 3 times.

lone_wolf025
08-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Sounds like you bled them out right. I'd say do it again just to be certain and also check the master cylinder.

Sprucegagt
08-29-2006, 06:08 PM
That's what I did....I used a big clamp to push the piston back in. That is what I have always done to do brakes.

My bleeding process was to start at the rear pass wheel, then rear drivers wheel, then front pass wheel, then front drivers wheel. I did the normal pump the brake and hold it in, open the bleeder valve, close it real quick, then let go of the brake. I did this 2 or 3 times.

Try bleeding them again except this time with the engine running. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BE IN FRONT OF THE BLEEDER VALVE WHEN YOU OPEN IT!!! The fluid will be coming out extremely fast. Also be sure to have the master cylinder full of fluid with the cap tightly sealed.

lone_wolf025
08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Try bleeding them again except this time with the engine running...

What would that do other than supply boost to the pedal?

-edit-

Not trying to be a smart ass or anything...just wondering...

Sprucegagt
08-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Sometimes you can't get all of the air out with the engine not running. The pressure from your foot alone is not enough.