Dual or Single Magnaflow People!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dual or Single Magnaflow People!?

imp
08-31-2002, 09:54 PM
Just got my Magnaflows put on yesterday and they are awsome.
Just curious, how many Grand Am brothers or sisters have magnaflows?

ash
08-31-2002, 10:12 PM
Dual Mags, Baby! :thumbs:
-Mike

PrimalGT
08-31-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ash
Dual Mags, Baby! :thumbs:
-Mike

how much Hp was added after the install??

Dr_Kyle
09-01-2002, 01:38 AM
I have the single setup. I love it more everyday :thumbs:

ash
09-01-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by PrimalGT

how much Hp was added after the install??

I have no idea, I would venture somewhere around 7-10 hp. Not as much as Borla or SLP because it's not mandrel bent, but a very nice crushed pipe setup.
-Mike

jakhammer
09-02-2002, 09:24 PM
single magnaflow here

jakhammer

Evil
09-02-2002, 09:40 PM
single here also....
I lost some in the low rpm range around 4hp loss around 3000, but at 5500 i gained 7hp on average. that is with an intake and a new cat and no resonator.

<-----

Pacman
09-02-2002, 11:51 PM
i have the mirror finish Magnaflow Muffler (14816) supported by a 2.25 mandrel bent cat-back system (single set-up). i gained a lot of HP and didnt loose too too much torque, but it was kinda noticeable. my CAI, helped me gain it back though :D .

StarFire
09-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Raises Hand. :wave:

:thumbs:

I would venture to say maybe 5 - 8HP gain. Even though Borla and SLP claim to be like 12 - 15 (I think)...I doubt they get above 10HP. Companies (including Magnaflow, don't think I'm trying to bandwagon here) like to say the max when performance is involved. Magnaflow is very very close performance wise, the main killer is the fact that *most* people don't do mendrel bent pipes from the cat/resonator back. If they did...I would say the performance would be almost exactly what Borla and SLP claim.

-=StarFire=-

Slim
09-03-2002, 05:54 AM
Single here as well. :wave:

No idea about the HP increase. Although my "ass dyno" seems to notice a difference in the upper rpm's. Anything I lost in the lower band was returned with the installation of my CAI. :D

StarFire
09-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Slim25
...Although my "ass dyno" seems to notice a difference...

Slim...I think that's about the funniest thing I have heard today! You're cracking me up. lol ...and truthfully is anything more accurate?!!!?

UNCTYPE-S
09-03-2002, 06:00 PM
i have the single mag flow setup on mine and was thinking of taking the resonator off. Anybody have mags with their resonator off? Does is sound a lot better and louder?

Pacman
09-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by StarFire
Magnaflow is very very close performance wise, the main killer is the fact that *most* people don't do mendrel bent pipes from the cat/resonator back. If they did...I would say the performance would be almost exactly what Borla and SLP claim.

-=StarFire=-

i would agree that mandrel bent systems are crucial to an exhaust for best performance. i would recommend that anyone that hasnt done a form of mandrel bent piping for their exhaust, get it done and feel the difference. your muffler will offer more exhaust flow, but the piping from the front of your car, all the way back to the muffler still has restrictions, bumps, nasty bends, etc. if you can open that up a little more (2.25-2.5 n/a motors) or (2.75-3 forced induction), that would increase flow and free up more HP.

JWeavis
09-04-2002, 11:35 AM
I have the dual Mags on mine also.

http://www.jweavis.com/gagt/images/My_PoloGT2.jpg

StarFire
09-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Got to love the Silver on Black look.

Course silver on silver looks good as well. :)

I just need to get mine re-adjusted.

UNCTYPE-S
09-04-2002, 07:36 PM
Looks great JWeavis.

Anybody with magnaflows have their resonator cut off. Im thinking about doing it to mine but i heard it may sound higher pitched. Is that true, and if not, what does is sound like, better or worse? Thanks

Pacman
09-04-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by UNC0808
Looks great JWeavis.

Anybody with magnaflows have their resonator cut off. Im thinking about doing it to mine but i heard it may sound higher pitched. Is that true, and if not, what does is sound like, better or worse? Thanks

i would say keep the resonator. if you do take it out, it will be louder and higher pitched. i cant say that the V6 will be bumble bee sounding, but i am pretty sure the 2.4L would. i wouldnt do it. keep the resonator, keep it deep.

UNCTYPE-S
09-04-2002, 08:40 PM
so taking the resonator off will defeat the purpose of the magnaflow sound? Mags are kind of deep but not deep as borla, but will it sound ricey or will it sound still like mag flows?

josho66
09-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Single Magnaflow and love it. I was the second person here ever to have it, second only to the great Sik :)

Pacman
09-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by UNC0808
so taking the resonator off will defeat the purpose of the magnaflow sound? Mags are kind of deep but not deep as borla, but will it sound ricey or will it sound still like mag flows?

i would say keep the resonator at all costs. mags are VERY deep. i would say a little more than borla. my single set up rumbles the inside of the car and vibrates some parts inside it is so deep. that reminds me, i need some dynamat soon too :rolleyes: lol

StarFire
09-05-2002, 05:53 PM
My dual magnaflows (without a CAI) will shake the car next to me when I go... I'm up to 16 car alarms set off by either starting up the car, or driving past. :)

Is that deep enough for you?

jakhammer
09-05-2002, 09:56 PM
i took out my resonator when i got my single set up. if you want the most performance out of the mufflers, ditch the resonator. That thing is a major road block in making horse power as far as I am concerned. I have used coffee stir sticks that could out flow the resonator on a GA... ok maybe not, but still, that thing reduces down a lot inside. As afr as loud, its not nearly as loud and my 98 F-150 and thats just cat back into a short striaght through muffler that splits into dual 2 1/4" pipes out the rear. Thats ultra loud compared to the GA without the resonator.

If you want deep sound, spend the extra cash and get the dual setup, you wont be happy with the single setup if your looking for a low rumble. go to drop the pedal and download the exhaust clip and see for yourself.

jakhammer

StarFire
09-06-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by jakhammer
go to drop the pedal and download the exhaust clip and see for yourself.

jakhammer

...yeah we need to redo that video clip...mine sound so much better than they do on that video...just ask GrandAmRamAir. :D :boogie:

jakhammer
09-06-2002, 07:13 AM
if you redo the video, get some of the dual mags driving down the road. I have wanted to hear that for a long time.

jakhammer

tj19855
07-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Sound clips??

aleroboy
07-17-2003, 11:19 AM
I have a different setup, slp piping and magnaflow muffler and 4" round resonator

PontiacGT2K
07-17-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm so stuck between SLP and dual Mag's. Does the dual mags sound that much better than SLP?

StarFire
07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Dual magnaflows are deeper (especially after a couple months), SLP is much higher pitched sound and raspy in my opinion.

The Old Guy
07-17-2003, 07:53 PM
I have a single Magnaflow with a 4" round for a resonator......Starfire and aleroboy steered me in that direction and I haven't regretted it one day. The longer it's on the car the better it sounds!! :thumbs: