Urgent Help Needed: E-Brake Light Stays On [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed: E-Brake Light Stays On

jsos431
09-01-2006, 05:17 AM
For some reason, my E-Brake light stays on in the dash cluster, so I can't use my cruise control. Does anybody know why this would be happening? I am taking a trip soon, and I need cruise, so I was hoping somebody could help me. Thanks.
Jimmy

jsos431
09-01-2006, 05:21 AM
I was searching around to see if anybody else had this, and I saw some had similar issues with the e-brake light and ABS, but my ABS light is not on, just the Brake light.

juanvan
09-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Sounds like something is wrong with the switch in the ebrake handle. See if you can disconnect it under the dash.

That kinda sucks as well b/c the lights don't turn on with it on... Stinger

jsos431
09-01-2006, 10:28 AM
where is the switch in the ebrake handle? if it is easy to get to it, i will get another and replace it.

Sprucegagt
09-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Check your brake fluid level!

jsos431
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I just checked it and it was very low, so I will fill it up and I also disconnected the battery for a couple hours to see if it will be reset. Thanks.
Jimmy

Sprucegagt
09-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I would have your brakes checked before going on that trip. Sounds like your brakes are close to being wornout.

jsos431
09-01-2006, 01:28 PM
No, I do my own brake jobs. There is no reason to pay somebody to do such a simple job of brakes. I just didn't know what the Brake light would be stuck on for. It turned out the last time I raced the car. I do a very small burnout just to get water off tires with the E-brake and after that night the light came on and off for a couple weeks, and now it just stays on. Now that I think about that it may explain the low brake fluid. I was racing it due to my dad putting my mustang race car into the wall. I was building the other one while racing the Grand Am. Thanks for all the help. Nobody knows how to get to the E-brake switch?
Jimmy

Sprucegagt
09-01-2006, 02:36 PM
E-brake has nothing to do with your brake fluid. It is completely mechanical, not hydraulic. Plus it uses two small brake shoes inside each rear rotor. The low brake fluid is due to the brake pads being worn down or you have a leak. Check your pads. If there fine then check you brake lines.

jsos431
09-01-2006, 03:56 PM
if the e-brake is completely mechanical (which I totally agree with) then how could the light come on if the small brake shoes in each rotor were worn badly? If that part is mechanical, then wouldn't the only electrical part of the system be faulty like the e-brake switch which triggers the light?
Jimmy

jsos431
09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I haven't ever changed the rear rotors or pads, i have only changed the fronts two different times. I have never heard any squeeling from the rear, so I haven't bothered changing them yet. The car does have 76,000 on it. Thanks.
Jimmy