sqeaking sound in rear of car [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : sqeaking sound in rear of car

bwwelk
09-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Every time i go through a pot hole or over a speed bump , mostly when making a turn my 01 grand am makes a very loud squeak or scraping sound, does it really bad when someone is in back of car ... What could this be???

videoman
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Swaybar Bushings need to be greased perhaps?

bwwelk
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok Ill try that ... Thanks

normal
09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
possibly a control arm? i had a bent one that originally only squeaked went over bumps with a full car of people, then it got progressively worse to the point i heard it whenever i hit a pothole alone in the car...

tommy00gt1
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
I had a similar noise, only mine wasn't a squealing type sound. Mine was a creak & groan type thing when I went over small bumps or cornered hard. My car has an extended warranty so I had the Pontiac dealership put 'er up on the lift and scope it out. All was fine under there but the mechanic installed new swaybar bushings saying it was a common nuisance with the Grand Am's. That corrected my creaking noises. Oh, I remember he also lubed up all points where noises could originate from... like strut mounts and such... Now it's quiet as a mouse...

99GTCoupe
09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
I have a noise I was going to ask about. It's kinda like a short and sharp thunk (or something) mixed with a short and sharp rattling that comes from just the rear drivers side when going over harsh bumps in the road (shoddy MI pavement patchworking suck arse ><). It's been there for over a month and really getting annoying. I have been considering it coming from struts, springs, mounts, loose muffler, or loose something else (hopefully that I can tighten myself). I should also mention that my car rides just fine, it doesn't bounce up and down, and it rides pretty smooth as far as I can really tell. It's pretty comparable to when I drove my mom's '05 Civic, so I dunno.

Any ideas? Posted here so that I didn't make a whole new post :)

99GTCoupe
09-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Anyone?