Problem with door locks. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with door locks.

Mirage85
09-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Ok, my girlfriend is having trouble with the power door locks in her Alero ('99 GLS Coupe). Basically same car, so I figured this is a good place to get help.

I tried searching, but cant find the exact problem, but after reading other problems, Im thinking it might be the relay. Any input is appreciated.

Ok, now the problem. The door locks will unlock just fine with the key fob, or by pressing the button in the car. But they wont lock if you hit the lock button on the key fob, or in the car. It doesnt even make a noise like its trying. If you manually lock the doors, then press the lock button, you can just barely hear something trying to move somewhere.

This was all what she tried to explain to me over phone on my way to work this morning. Im going to look at it this weekend, but If I can give her information to fix it now, or get a better idea of what I am up against, it would help.

Thanks for any help.

coupe
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
The door locks will unlock just fine with the key fob, or by pressing the button in the car. But they wont lock if you hit the lock button on the key fob, or in the car.

Is it just me or does that not make any sense, am i reading it wrong?

Mirage85
09-07-2006, 09:48 AM
It doesnt make sense, but thats what the locks do. They will unlock just fine, but they will only lock manually by pushing the lock button on each door.

EDIT: Coupe, let me try this, The door locks will UNLOCK just fine with the key fob, or by pressing the button in the car. But they wont LOCK if you hit the lock button on the key fob, or in the car.

It will unlock fine, but wont lock.

Mirage85
09-07-2006, 06:31 PM
SO no one has had this problem? GREAT!!!! should be a fun weekend.......... (Sarcasm)

coupe
09-08-2006, 05:42 AM
It doesnt make sense, but thats what the locks do. They will unlock just fine, but they will only lock manually by pushing the lock button on each door.

EDIT: Coupe, let me try this, The door locks will UNLOCK just fine with the key fob, or by pressing the button in the car. But they wont LOCK if you hit the lock button on the key fob, or in the car.

It will unlock fine, but wont lock.

OIC.

I have no idea dude.

Mirage85
09-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Ok, I am going to give it a look tomorrow morning... hopefully I can figure it out.

Mirage85
09-08-2006, 06:31 PM
Well I took a look at it tonight, apparently there are 3 door lock relays. anyway, some simple corrosion was causing the problems, cleaned up the contacts and works just fine again.

PhantomLover007
01-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's kind of an old thread...

Got almost the same issue w/ mine now. I can lock and unlock the drives side fine w/ the key fob, but not the rest of the doors. I have to manually lock them. ;crap I guess, I'll have to deal w/ them when I get home again...

cmtapanes
01-26-2008, 12:46 PM
have the same problem on the passanger lock. Where are the relays located?

silvergtjrad
01-26-2008, 01:17 PM
have the same problem on the passanger lock. Where are the relays located?

The underhood fuse box.

Mirage85
01-28-2008, 09:25 AM
The underhood fuse box.

On her Alero, they are in the drivers side fuse panel.

Right now, the doors are working fine, but the truck is acting up. You can hear it click when you press the button, so its something else. They key works in it, so its not worth investigating, not when shes going to trade it in this spring/summer.

PhantomLover007
07-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Update. I can unlock all the doors w/ the key fob, as well as any of the other electric locks. But, just the drivers side locks with the fob or the other electric locks. Still sound like a relay problem?

PhantomLover007
07-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Got the problem fixed. BTW, relays for the GA are in the driver's side fuse panel.

It was the relay. I swapped them around and got them to do the opposite of what they were doing. Got a new relay from Advanced Auto Parts for around $10.00. Damn them sh1ts are hard to remove. I had to use a pair of pliers to get them out.

There are 3 different relays. One for unlocking just the drivers side, one for unlocking the rest of the doors and one for locking all the doors. Basically, they have them relayed the way you have to use the key fob (you know, press once to unlock driver's and twice for all the doors, etc.)

Now I gotta figure out the issue w/ the cig lighter CONSTANTLY blowing fuses. Doing a search as we speak... lol