Need Help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

slickjoe
09-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm looking for a thread on how to take off the front passenger's side door panel, but here is what i need help with. I pulled into the parking lot with the windows down. Once I parked, I began to roll the windows up and all of a sudden i heard a "snap" noise several times from the inside of the passenger side door. Right after the noise (the window was around 3/4 the way up) the window slid straight down into the door. I do not believe it is the motor in the door. Anyone have anything like this similar happen? Can you tell me how to fix the issue?

Thanks

Rich
09-08-2006, 06:48 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40842

theres the how to. the same thing happened to me with my drivers window, except not all at the same time. i heard nasty cracking when i tried moving it. its most likely the clips, and probably the sash or whatever.

slickjoe
09-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I just pulled the panel off, and discovered plastic white pieces at the bottom of the door. It's not a tiny piece, but is around an inch and a half long. It's slightly similar to the looks of a lego piece.

Skullrot
09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Yup, both your clips broke on the bottom of the window.Lift your window up by hand and unbolt the mounts from the bottom of the window. Remove old clips and install the new ones, then snap them in place on the rails and rebolt to the windows. Mine broke a coulpe of days ago.

99GTCoupe
09-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, it's a bitch ><

Unless you can find the clips REAL cheap, buy a new window regulator, cause you can get them for about $40 + shipping (usually abour $15). Here's a link to one: 99+ Grand Am Passenger Window Regulator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-PONTIAC-GRAND-AM-FRONT-PASSENGER-WINDOW-REGULATOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33706QQihZ020 QQitemZ300024665560) (you caught me in a good mood)
Buy it, it will take about a week to get to you (cause of weekend and such), they ship from Cali so it's a five-day shipping time :) Makato's where I bought mine, and I think that link is for the 4 door one. Also, you will have a problem (most likely) with the window going the opposite way, so do a SEARCH on here for how to fix that (not feeling nice enough to hunt it down), mine does and I'll get around to fixing it at some point, just glad it's fixed

The clips are hella-expensive, like $30+ each >< Do the install yourself, it's easy, and cheaper. It's also cheaper in the long run to replace the whole regulator cause you'd feel like an idiot if the motor went out after shelling out $60 for two little clips (new regulators come with a new motor already on it and all the clips you need, including the ones that probably broke lol). You might want to do both, I'll be replacing my passenger one soon cause it's VERY slow compared to my new driver's one :)

Oh, and ironically enough, the clips that broke on mine WEREN'T the ones that usually do, the rounded ones in the corners of the assembly are what went lol

slickjoe
09-09-2006, 07:39 AM
yeah man, i just spent 150 bux on a regulator since i need to put it in now. I can't even get the window up. Better spending 150 bux on a regulator than it is someone jacking your car lol.

99GTCoupe
09-09-2006, 06:26 PM
yeah man, i just spent 150 bux on a regulator since i need to put it in now. I can't even get the window up. Better spending 150 bux on a regulator than it is someone jacking your car lol.

....... okay

To get it up all you would have had to do was unbolt the clips on the bottom of the window. My window was help up in place by popsicle sticks for over a month. I just took my faceplate out every night at home. Nothing ever happened to my car.