Replace Calipers (front) question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replace Calipers (front) question

AuroraGuy
09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I will be replacing my 00GAGT calipers in the front with a set of Raybestos (pre-loaded with PGPlus pads) this weekend.

I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do or parts I need?

I would expect to use NEW compression washers for the banjo bolts (presuming these have those) - and does anyone know what TORQUE these should be put to or is 'snug' all it needs?

My rotors are fairly new so I will simply re-use these.

I has been over 20yrs since I replace calipers..so I could use a few tips.

thanks-

-JD

digitalballz
09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
torque on a caliper??? lol ya right! Tighten tight, but dont break'em. and no there is no special tool!!

mfuller
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Nothing to special about it.....yes, you must use new copper crush washers on the banjo bolts or you'll get leaks. The torque spec isn't much; 10ft-lbs maybe. Clean and re-grease the caliper pins while you are at it (unless the new caipers come with new pins; then just grease liberally. Be sure to bed in the new pads after you bleed the system!

AuroraGuy
09-14-2006, 06:35 AM
yea, I was only referring to the brake line for torque...

Ok I got this kit. It is a complete kit with pads/bolts all pre-loaded. Not bad!!

But it came with a small package of brake lube.
I cant for the life of me figure out what this is for when this is a complete
ready-to-go kit...what could still need lube? - its a white looking package of spooge stuff :bleep:

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys for the responses.

-JD

Hurricane
09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
The lube is probably for the pins.

AuroraGuy
09-14-2006, 08:27 AM
THats what I figured....but the are already pre-assembled and I cant think I would need to lube them.

Humm....?

-JD

CaptRon
09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
I just replaced the entire front system last fall. Unless there is a torque spec, I always use the rule of thumb, one half turn before it breaks. The lube is for the pins and you have to use new washers. Good luck!

Sprucegagt
09-14-2006, 09:18 AM
THats what I figured....but the are already pre-assembled and I cant think I would need to lube them.

Humm....?

-JD

When you take your current calipers off, you'll see why you need the grease. If you kit came with pins I doubt they are already pre-greased.

Hurricane
09-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I always use the rule of thumb, one half turn before it breaks.

I'd love to see the procedure for determining that one! :)

Phuxed
09-15-2006, 02:06 PM
I'd love to see the procedure for determining that one! :)
"Just a little...bit...more...." SNAP "Aaaaaaand a half turn back the other way...":whistle:

lone_wolf025
09-15-2006, 09:49 PM
"Just a little...bit...more...." SNAP "Aaaaaaand a half turn back the other way...":whistle:

lol lol

That's a classic!!