key wont turn [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : key wont turn

el nino
09-14-2006, 01:47 PM
i tried to start my car up this afternoon but after i stick the key in it doest let me turn! does anyone have any idea what it could be?

stangdude
09-14-2006, 02:04 PM
my spare key does that, its just cut really crappy (even though it came from the dealer when I bought the car) I just kinda have to wiggle it and it will eventually go, if yours just started though, maybe someone is messing with you and stuck crap in the ignition hole. I don't think passlock has a lockout on the actual tumbler though, if that's what you are concerned about.

el nino
09-14-2006, 08:26 PM
well i tried that and nothing!

lone_wolf025
09-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Try wiggling the wheel while trying to turn. I dunno about our cars but I've noticed on some cars with steering wheel locks the key often doesn't want to turn until you take pressure off the wheel lock by turning it a hair.

stangdude
09-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I didn't think of that, good one too! My truck is really touchy about that, the grand am not so much. If the wheel is turned a little bit, this could definately be it. The wheel should always be straight when you turn it off, or turned quite a bit (keeping with rules of the road for parking on a hill, blah, blah). Sometimes a slight turn will engage the steering lock, especially if you moved the wheel while getting out or something to engage it.

lone_wolf025
09-14-2006, 09:36 PM
My parents both have Toyotas and they have that issue with the lock and key. Took us a while to figure it out intially but its still a pain.

MMGT1
09-14-2006, 09:38 PM
if that isn't it, you need a new battery. Seen this many, many, many times on many boards over the years :)

el nino
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
i went to the pontiac dealership and they told me that it might be the cylinder or the shifter...

stangdude
09-18-2006, 03:32 PM
oh crap, the shifter.....I forgot about that one, I put a new shifter handle on mine and didn't get it adjusted right. If that yellow plastic pin in the shifter handle can not go completely up, it thinks you are in gear and will not allow the key to turn. If you haven't messed with your shifter, this is unlikely though. However, it is all mechanical down there though, so it might be worth checking at least. If it doesn't think its in park though, you should be able to shift into reverse or neutral from park without hitting the brake.

el nino
09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
yeah my shifter wont move anywhere though.

CoopGT
09-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Your stepping on the brake to move the shifter right? I was going to suggest the shifter also. May not be all the way into park .

el nino
09-21-2006, 10:02 PM
ok so i got my car towed to the pontiac dealership tonight. the person towing it said the wheels were locked so he had to pull the car with a jack under the front of it. while he was pulling it the the car slipped from the jack twice! anyone know if this can cause some damage to the car, it seemed pretty rough to me! i cant wait to get the car back so i can check it out.

LoboMan7409
09-21-2006, 11:05 PM
ok so i got my car towed to the pontiac dealership tonight. the person towing it said the wheels were locked so he had to pull the car with a jack under the front of it. while he was pulling it the the car slipped from the jack twice! anyone know if this can cause some damage to the car, it seemed pretty rough to me! i cant wait to get the car back so i can check it out.

It upsets me how if it is not a persons car they treat it like crap

xBlitzerx
05-11-2007, 05:39 PM
This happened to me today.

Over the last week or so, I've had to jiggle the key for it to turn over. Finally today (while my buddy and I were installing my subs and amp no less), I went to start it up. Key went in but wouldn't turn.

I tried the wheel lock, nothing.
Jimmied the shifter around, nothing.
Had to get it towed, $60.
Mechanic is supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know what exactly needs replacing.

But to the last poster about having to jack the front up to tow it. That doesn't sound good. My tower went under the hood and popped some sort of wheel release. Although the front bumber took some scraping on the way up. I was like AHHHHHHH!

lol, sigh. I've only had the car about a month. I also started hearing the strut creaks. I hate the way cars are manufactured.

Mike Jung
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Well, that tow truck driver is an idiot !!! :nono:

You are NOT suppose to tow the car (our GA's) from the rear !

If they couldn't tow it from the front; they should of hooked-up the rear to move it a bit.
& then rehook-up to the front, to tow it to the dealer or garage.

PS: Our GA's don't have a steering wheel lock feature.