Brake noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake noise

zootelevision
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on a problem I'm having with my brakes. I replaced my front pads and rotors a few weeks ago. For a while, everything was fine and I had no problems. About a week ago, I've started to hear a squeaking from the drivers side front when I brake. I also hear a low muffled whirring sound at low speeds, but goes away when I reach freeway speeds. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Eric

99GTCoupe
09-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I was gona post a thread on my brake noise as well, but I figure I'll jump on this bandwagon :)

I have the same noise, though I am, not sure if it's coming only from the driver's side or from both sides. It's just a slight and quiet squeaking/creaking noise when I apply the brake, most noticable when I am stopped and let off the brake and the push it again. It's just annoying really, but wanted to make sure it's not going to turn into anything serious. I do believe I need my brakes replaced, there's a low and quiet grinding sound when I brake from low speeds (like 30 mph and slower). I'll hopefully get pads and rotors for the front (and a nice jack) from Murray's in the next week or so. But that's another story.

Anyways, I also have a problem that I just noticed today with a quiet (damn all those quiet annoying noises lol) whine coming from my exhaust piping while my car was running and parked outside my house before coming to work today. I think it got louder when I listened near the muffler, but not sure. I think I need a new muffler anyways, so no big deal. I would say, though, zoo, that you might need a new muffler (though I can't hear mine at any speed, btw), and just pray you don't need new pipes arr around >< I always hate that.

Mike Jung
09-15-2006, 06:44 PM
...It's just a slight and quiet squeaking/creaking noise when I apply the brake, most noticable when I am stopped and let off the brake and the push it again. It's just annoying really, but wanted to make sure it's not going to turn into anything serious...
See: Brake Caliper Creaking TSB (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39198)

Either you need to lube the brake calipers with GM Kluber Fluid.

Or you need new brake calipers.

In my case: I needed new brake calipers.
Just before I replaced them, it seemed harder to brake.

Raybestos brake calipers painted in glossy black FTW :)

Mike Jung
09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Also see: Brakes creaking when pressed. (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46542)

99GTCoupe
09-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Cool, thanks :)

zootelevision
09-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Thank you for the replies Mike, but I don't think either of those sound like the noises I'm having. It's a squeak when I apply the brakes on one side, and a muffled whirring noise on the other. Any ideas?

drumking1721
09-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey guys this goes along the same lines....This morning when i was back home in Flint and i installed new baer declarotors and some ebc green stuff pads....Drove the two hours to kalamazoo to my apartment and everything went great...just ran to the store to get some stuff and on the way back when i turned into my apartment complex my left front tire started making a noise...its almost like baseball cards going through the spokes of a bycyle tire...any ideas?