Case learn [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Case learn

LoboMan7409
09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey guys, I am getting a tuned PCM finally and I was wondering if a case learn is absolutly necessary because my local dealer is wanting to charge me 90 bucks to do it. Opinions?

jackal2000
09-14-2006, 07:02 PM
it depends on what is "tuned" in the PCM. who are you getting the PCM from?

LoboMan7409
09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
it depends on what is "tuned" in the PCM. who are you getting the PCM from?

I got it from MP Racing

lone_wolf025
09-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Ask Mark (lvemy3100). He'll tell you what you'll need to get done. Case learn would probably be advisable.

Sprucegagt
09-14-2006, 10:02 PM
it depends on what is "tuned" in the PCM.

Wrong.

I take it the new PCM is not the original one the car came with. If so then yes you will need a case learn, but take it somewhere else. The dealer is not the only place that can do this.

NOTE: When a new PCM is used a case learn is needed so it can learn the correct timing for your car.

lone_wolf025
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Just a friendly reminder: Remind them you DON'T want them to reflash it.

jackal2000
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Wrong.

I take it the new PCM is not the original one the car came with. If so then yes you will need a case learn, but take it somewhere else. The dealer is not the only place that can do this.

NOTE: When a new PCM is used a case learn is needed so it can learn the correct timing for your car.
riddle me this, how come when i put my DHP PCM in it did NOT need a relearn???? not even a security relearn, it was totally plug and play.

LoboMan7409
09-15-2006, 01:08 AM
did any of you guys SVS light turn on when you installed yours

Sprucegagt
09-15-2006, 01:50 AM
riddle me this, how come when i put my DHP PCM in it did NOT need a relearn???? not even a security relearn, it was totally plug and play.

Because you got lucky. You did read where DHP recommends getting a case learn didn't you? Sometimes a security relearn is not needed. It just depends on the last vehicle the PCM was used in. The PCM used in the GA/Alero is also used in plenty of other GM V6 powered vehicles(Grand Prix, Venture, Malibu, Century,...). Plus you really should get a case relearn because it allows the PCM to determine the correct low rpm timing. It won't miss unless it's really out but it will affect your gas mileage.

AaronGTR
09-15-2006, 06:41 AM

As spruce said, you got lucky. There are two factors here... one, the pcm needs too know which cylinder is supposed to be firing, and two, it needs to be on the correct security code. The pcm and bcm communicate with a code that randomly changes every time you start the car. If you swap pcm's and they don't match then obviously the car won't start unless you do the security re-learn procedure to sync the codes, and like wise with the case learn. If it is off then you will need to do it for the car to run optimally. Your pcm just happened to be on both the same settings as your original. Rare, but not unheard of.

jackal2000
09-15-2006, 07:53 AM
good info, thanks fellas!

Sprucegagt
09-15-2006, 12:05 PM
No problem Jackal.

did any of you guys SVS light turn on when you installed yours

SVS lights are from the BCM, not PCM. I would double check all your lights.

LoboMan7409
09-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh my bad I ment my SES light. where did you guys get your case learns done.

lvemy3100
09-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Andy and Aaron are both using DHP tuners AFIK so they can do it themselves....

sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time getting it done just keep trying around and you will find a place for cheap enough.... hopefully free...

LoboMan7409
09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Dude, this is really upseting me, I dont want my car to get all messed up from driving it w/o the case learn, I have been driving the GTO around

LoboMan7409
09-16-2006, 02:01 AM
bump

MMGT1
09-16-2006, 04:56 AM
You have set a P1336 code. When you go to the dealer tell them this is the code it is throwing and it should save you a few bucks(they don't need to scan the car which would cost a hundred bucks this side of the border!). The car does start right? If it won't start do this...........

ABOUT CASE LEARN:
It is advisable to make a trip to the dealer and instruct them you have a DTC P1336 which calls for a CASE learn. Some may refer to it as a Crank Positioning. Use some degree of discretion while asking them *NOT* to re-flash the PCM. If they re flash the PCM, all your tweaks are gone forever. It's a simple process that should take no more than 5 minutes. Most dealers do not have a problem with it. Many do it for free while other may charge a modest fee for it.

SECURITY RELEARN PROCEDURE

In the event that your vehicle fails to start after installing the DHP 1.0 PCM, you will need to perform the Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle. Follow the steps listed below completely.

Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
On 4th attempt, car should start.
NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Taken from PFYC.com^^^^^^^^^^^

Spend the 90 if you have to man..............the next time you drive the GA, is to the dealer.

LoboMan7409
09-16-2006, 06:49 PM
You have set a P1336 code. When you go to the dealer tell them this is the code it is throwing and it should save you a few bucks(they don't need to scan the car which would cost a hundred bucks this side of the border!). The car does start right? If it won't start do this...........

ABOUT CASE LEARN:
It is advisable to make a trip to the dealer and instruct them you have a DTC P1336 which calls for a CASE learn. Some may refer to it as a Crank Positioning. Use some degree of discretion while asking them *NOT* to re-flash the PCM. If they re flash the PCM, all your tweaks are gone forever. It's a simple process that should take no more than 5 minutes. Most dealers do not have a problem with it. Many do it for free while other may charge a modest fee for it.

SECURITY RELEARN PROCEDURE

In the event that your vehicle fails to start after installing the DHP 1.0 PCM, you will need to perform the Security Relearn Procedure. This procedure allows the PCM to function properly in your vehicle. Follow the steps listed below completely.

Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
On 4th attempt, car should start.
NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Taken from PFYC.com^^^^^^^^^^^

Spend the 90 if you have to man..............the next time you drive the GA, is to the dealer.

Thanks a lot man, that helps a lot. :applause:

LoboMan7409
09-19-2006, 12:34 AM
So today I called the dealer and told them the code that got set off and they said they couldnt fix it based on that because the code led to another and so forth. So if I go into the dealer and tell them I need a "case learn" or a "crank positioning" or should I just tell them I have a DTC P1336. Please Help guys, I just wanna put the GTO away and start driving my baby again!!!!

Bump up

lvemy3100
09-19-2006, 05:39 AM
saying either one should trigger them to need to do the case learn....

most people you talk to on the phone dont know what they are talking about...

in any case you may end up paying for it but that is to be expected...

MMGT1
09-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Yea, tell the "ALL KNOWING" service advisor that you need a "Case Learn". If you go to another shop where you deal with the mechanic directally, then talk codes......they'll understand :)

Paul

iceman
09-19-2006, 06:21 AM
and if it hasn't already been repeated here...

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59617&highlight=case+learn

iceman
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60340&highlight=case+learn

iceman
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57170&highlight=case+learn

iceman
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54670&highlight=case+learn

iceman