Torque for lug nuts? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Torque for lug nuts?

AuroraGuy
09-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Does anyone happen to have the torque spec for 00GAGT lug nuts?

I am guessing around 80ft lbs....

Thanks!

-JD

Irate
09-16-2006, 06:56 AM
100 ft lbs, re-torque after 25-50 miles of driving.

digitalballz
09-16-2006, 11:14 AM
air gun! lol

99GTCoupe
09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Till you can't turn the 4-way anymore lol

Mike Jung
09-16-2006, 05:04 PM
air gun! lol
I'm guessing with no torque stick ?

lol

You are so mean, if you ever did that to someone.

Could you imagine the next person who takes off the wheels ?
They will be like :wtf

How much torque does it to take to take off a lug nut ?
It took me like 200 ft-lb of torque to get some lug nuts off of my buddy's car.
When we were putting on some McGard locking lug nuts (after he bought a car used from a Ford dealer).

AuroraGuy
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
this is why I asked. The morons at the tire places jam these nutz on so tight you have to call Hulk Hogan to remove them :rage:

There have been rumors that if people crank these too tight they can warp rotors...but I am not sure I fall for that....seems like an old wive's tale. Like leaving batteries on bare concrete cause them to discharge. Yea sure they do. It cant possibly have anything to do with normal self-discharging :boogie:

Ironically, I set the torque at 100ft lbs and snapped the 3" extension I was using between the wrench and the socket. It was a craftsman too...oddly.

-JD

Mike Jung
09-16-2006, 06:23 PM
...The morons at the tire places jam these nutz on so tight you have to call Hulk Hogan to remove them :rage:...
The tire shop that I use:
uses torque sticks on their air guns;
& then uses a torque wrench by hand to tighten them to spec.

Phuxed
09-16-2006, 06:28 PM
this is why I asked. The morons at the tire places jam these nutz on so tight you have to call Hulk Hogan to remove them :rage:
I had the same problem when I first bought my car. Whoever had put the lugnuts on last put them on tighter than....won't go there. My neighbor is a retired state detective...BIG guy. He saw me tryin to get them off with a four-way the first time and came over to help...he couldn't budge them. He had some kind of air tools (I don't know exactly, I was uneducated at the time) they didn't work either. Had to go to the tire place down the road and they took them off for me.

El_Diablo
09-16-2006, 07:13 PM
i use a breaker bar usualy... if need be i just grab a pipe for an extension or something... oh and if the breaker bar isnt arround i just use the pipe on my half inch drive rachet... gotta love craftsman :D

oh and btw, i always torque to 100ftlbs in a cross pattern and then re-check the torque in the same pattern and then i put the car back on the ground and re-check again... and then take the car for a spin and check again

you can never be too anal..... no, thats now that i mean you ****ing pervs so stop sending me the PM's!!! lol

digitalballz
09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I have used my airgun on my own car, and gotten the lugs off on the side of the road by hand! If you really think that a shop uses a torque wrench on lugs then your crazy. Its just not profitable, time is money after all!! If your using a breaker bar to install, its probly tighter than most air guns anyway. you'd be surprised at how much more you can do with a breaker bar than an airgun!

LoboMan7409
09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
dont use an impact gun, my opinion messes up the lug nuts I just snug them down with a tire iron then use a good old fashioned torque wrench.

Mike Jung
09-17-2006, 12:23 AM
...If you really think that a shop uses a torque wrench on lugs then your crazy. Its just not profitable, time is money after all!!...
Well, I know that the tire shop that I deal with does.
& they charge enough for a wheel/tire (that are already mounted on seperate wheels) set season change over = $40 Cdn + taxes.
(That is more than a price of a 'faster than 30-minute' oil change here at a GM dealer for $34.95 Cdn, which $20 Cdn of it is for labour.)
Usually 20-30 minutes per car.

They have an open garage area with glass window wall to the waiting area.
It is a consumer tire shop in the front & commercial (like big rigs & construction equipment) in the rear.

You see them put the lug nuts on by hand first.
Tighten them up with an air gun (with a torque stick).
& then use a troque wrench by hand for the final tightening, & you hear the click-click of the troque wrench on all the lug nuts.

I was surprised also, when I bought my 1st set of winter tires & steel wheels from them.

FuriousG
09-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Everytime I took my Cavalier in for anything to do with the wheels I would find that the shop would tighten the lugnuts down so hard that one of the lugs would break off. They never bothered to tell me about it either. I'd always have to take a close look at teh car before I left and normally I'd walk right back in and tell them to replace the lug they broke. They always acted like they had no idea it had broke but they never argued about replacing it.

The worst part is, I couldn't easily find another shop to work on my car since I was in Germany at the time and the only english speaking mechanics I knew were the ones on base...

digitalballz
09-17-2006, 07:35 AM
I have yet to find a shop around here that doesnt use an airgun to put on lugnuts. The only time a lugnut will break from using a gun is if its stripped before it comes in, or if you f the threads up maybe by hitting them somehow. I have broken studs before, but it usually happens when they are coming off cuz they were screwed up from the last time they were taken off. Anyway this is gettin old

lvemy3100
09-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I have broken studs off with a breaker bar quite a few times and I know that most shops use impacts that are much stronger than what is needed for lugs... but like Mike said above, the only reason a shop would break one with an impact is if they were to cheap to buy THESE (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92890)... IMO they should be in every garage with air tools

El_Diablo
09-17-2006, 01:29 PM
torque sticks are a must in a real shop

digitalballz
09-17-2006, 03:37 PM
lol

Sprucegagt
09-18-2006, 06:23 AM

There have been rumors that if people crank these too tight they can warp rotors...but I am not sure I fall for that....seems like an old wive's tale. Like leaving batteries on bare concrete cause them to discharge. Yea sure they do. It cant possibly have anything to do with normal self-discharging :boogie:

Ironically, I set the torque at 100ft lbs and snapped the 3" extension I was using between the wrench and the socket. It was a craftsman too...oddly.

-JD

Sometimes old wives' tales are true.

Molson
09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
I have yet to find a shop around here that doesnt use an airgun to put on lugnuts. The only time a lugnut will break from using a gun is if its stripped before it comes in, or if you f the threads up maybe by hitting them somehow. I have broken studs before, but it usually happens when they are coming off cuz they were screwed up from the last time they were taken off. Anyway this is gettin old
find a better shop. The shop I go to, all the techs have a torque stick set, and they use them.. BIG liability problem if they screw up there.

Mike Jung
09-18-2006, 11:47 AM
find a better shop. The shop I go to, all the techs have a torque stick set, and they use them.. BIG liability problem if they screw up there.
:rumor: But he is a mechanic. lol

(Not making fun of you specifically. But since you see it there working in that field.)