Got into a accident..slammed into a ditch with water..have a few questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Got into a accident..slammed into a ditch with water..have a few questions

chesee48
09-16-2006, 11:48 AM
The other day my car-99 GT loss control on the highway after fresh rain and i slammed into a ditch with water in it...

some water got into the car when i opened the drivers side door... the air bags never deployed and there really was no body damage out side of the rear bumper just falling off ( not cracked or anythign)...

now the air bag light stays on, and it the manual, it says ' if water gets into the car, enough to cover some of the carpet, your air bag system may be malfunctioning and do not drive the car or start the car"

I did drive the car a tiny bit and there were no issues....

my question is, what is causing that light to come on? is there a sensor or anything that i need to change that probably got screwed up cause of the water or maybe because of the impact?

thanks for any help

Phuxed
09-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I think it says that because IIRC there are airbag sensors under the seats so if water covers the floor, it's got those sensors submerged too. I remember the Haynes manual always sayin disconnect the airbags before pullin the seats for this reason, so that way when you're workin you dont get an airbag to the face...I would imagine this is the same reason they say not to drive it, they could either deploy randomly or if you got into an accident not at all. That's just my take, but I'm not an expert, I would call someone and have it looked at professionally...my .02

lone_wolf025
09-16-2006, 10:01 PM
*iagree*

When it comes to airbags its ALWAYS best to have it done by the professionals.

As for driving it, so long as you didn't get water in the engine you're fine in terms of mechanical operation. That line is probably just a "cover your arse" in case you get into an accident and the airbag doesn't deploy, that way you can't sue pontiac.

iceman
09-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Airbag sensor under the pass seat

El_Diablo
09-17-2006, 01:14 PM
actually thats the air bag control unit, the sensors are behind the front and rear crash bars

chesee48
09-21-2006, 01:58 AM
actually thats the air bag control unit, the sensors are behind the front and rear crash bars

They are? maybe thats why the light is on...i tore off the padding that is between the rear bumper and the frame...i got to go pick up the padding at the dealer when i get a chance...

El_Diablo
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
yeah, theres a little electrical connector behind the crash bar (my grille comes out so its pretty easy to see)

chesee48
09-26-2006, 06:26 PM
The dealer told me this:

these are the things wrong with my car/that need to be replaced...

1. Left wheel hub....need to be replaced...

2. SDM Module ( for the airbag underneath the drivers seat)...needs to be replaced...

3. oxygensenor/Lower intake bank 1....the intake is leaking onto the oxygen sensor so both need to be replaced...

any idea and part numbers/prices?

i dont even want to tell you what they quoted me....

badboy2451
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
i dont even wanna know what they quoted lol

chesee48
09-26-2006, 06:33 PM
the service mgr wouldnt tell me the part numbers....he goes " i dont have them"

chesee48
09-26-2006, 06:48 PM
any one have pics of this intake or module?