Vibration problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Vibration problems

midnight89
09-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Hello Guys!

Having a little bit of a problem with my 2003 GT1. I'm having a problem with the car vibrating at 70 mph. The car starts to shake violently right in the 68 - 74 mph range, however it starts to smooth out once you get out of that range.

One thing to consider, I recently had a flat tire patched and then the problem started. I suspected the tire wasn't balanced properly when it was fixed, so I just took it back and had it rebalanced. Still didn't fix the problem.

I took a closer look at the tires and they all appear to be in pretty good shape (no warping or uneven wear, etc).

Should I take the car in and have ALL of the tires rebalanced, or do you suspect the problem is something completely different?

Thanks for all of your help,

JB

IROCZIV
09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I would actually have the tires not only checked for balance but also roundness. Sometimes when a tire gets punctured (if its a big hole, or they fix it with a plug) or hits a big pot hole the belts get shifted and will make the tire distorted (you can see it hop while its on the balancer) It can still be balanced but will make the car shake regardless. In that case the tire will need to be replace as itís on its way to coming apart.
Also make sure there's nothing like mud on the inside of any of your rims. they should do that when they balance it, but you can't trust some shops.

poika
09-17-2006, 12:16 PM
I had the same problem, and actually it was my wheel barring....and the barring only blew when I had the flat. it was wierd.

midnight89
09-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!