Just a battery problem? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Just a battery problem?

Butcher
09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT. It has around 97,000 Miles on it. I believe it has been running on the same battery since it was made. A few months ago, I was sitting at a sonic with some friends and we were using my radio w/o my car being on. Now we only listened to 3 - 4 songs before I had to go. But when I went to turn my car on it wouldn't start. It just got deader and deader. It went from a clicking sound to nothing when I turned my key. I got it jumped off finally and it was fine for a little while. Well, tonight after I put something in my trunk (using keyless entry) I hopped in my car, ready to go to sonic. Well...it happened again. My car was dead. I had it jumped off again, but I blew my radio and trunk fuses in the process. I replaced those and took it around the neighborhood to charge that battery up a little bit. I got home, parked it, and turned it off. Then I checked to see if the battery was fine. Now, it was trying to turn over, but it wouldn't. I let it sit for a few minutes and it turned on ok. Then was turning on normally. I am going by autozone tomorrow so I can check my battery.

My question is...Is it my battery or something else that is killing my car?

Thanks in advance.

Gizm0815
09-20-2006, 08:43 PM
was your car in the on postion or running with you radio on. if it was just in the on position thats why your battery died. sounds like uve just drained out the battery plus the age of the battery its probably time for a new one.

Butcher
09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
It was in the on position, but only for like 10 - 15 min. tops.

Today however, it was completely off, my headlights are on auto so that wasn't the problem and everything seemed to be working fine the last time I was riding in it earlier that day. The battery just died for no reason. Tomorrow I am getting it checked out. Hopefully thats the problem.

Gizm0815
09-20-2006, 08:53 PM
10-15 min is all it takes ive killed batterys before in the same amount of time

Butcher
09-20-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Giz.

Mike Jung
09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Stop driving your car around to "charge" the battery !!!

Use a car battery charger; unless you want to fry your alternator !

Get a new battery now; it sounds like your car battery has lost it's load/Amps capacity.

You don't want to wait to winter to find out, that you have no CCA power left in the battery.

williamGT
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Stop driving your car around to "charge" the battery !!!

Use a car battery charger; unless you want to fry your alternator !

Get a new battery now; it sounds like your car battery has lost it's load/Amps capacity.

You don't want to wait to winter to find out, that you have no CCA power left in the battery.
I agree with mike, i rather go with a $110.00 battery than a $450.00 alternator.

badboy2451
09-20-2006, 09:49 PM
=$450.00 alternator.

where the hell u gettin ur alternator from??

i would replace the battery and see how it runs from there, if you have anymore problem then i would bank on the alternator since uve been runnin a bad battery for so long

williamGT
09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
where the hell u gettin ur alternator from??

i would replace the battery and see how it runs from there, if you have anymore problem then i would bank on the alternator since uve been runnin a bad battery for so long
Well my car was on warrenty when my alternator died. GM retail price was 450.00........ummmmm rip off.

Butcher
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Just went to Autozone.
Result...Bad Battery.

Whew.

Glad it wasn't the alternator.

Going back later today and buying a new one.

Thanks for the help guys.