Arctic White Grand AM GT w/ Ram Air [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Arctic White Grand AM GT w/ Ram Air

Flambo
09-23-2006, 01:09 AM
I've eyed up an Arctic White Grand AM GT w/ Ram Air at a local dealership for $13400 Canadian (60 000kms). Now for me, this is alot of money to be spending on a car. I took it for a test drive today and I was impressed. Though there are some problems, I was just wondering if these problems are normal

1) There is a noise in the air vents, like the fan is rubbing up against things, easy fix?

2) There is a kind of knocking noise in the engine after it is shut off (could this be from it cooling down?)

3) There seems to be some kindof noises in the car when it hits bumbs, its not louds noise, there subtle, its almost like the frame is bending, anyone else have this problem?

4) The previous owner had a sunroof put in the car, it looks great but could this possible ruin the structure/strength of the frame if it was not installed properly possible contributing to the noises in the car when it hits a bump?

Thats pretty much all that I can find wrong with it, I am really tempted to buy it but these problems are making me think.

If you want something clarified just ask, I am kindof dozing off here.

Here is a picture of the car

http://canadatrader.com/result/deta...59&pgno=1&srt=1

Also, what are the chances of this car being a lemon? How would I tell if it was in any major accidents?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

godenbrncs
09-25-2006, 04:33 PM
4) The previous owner had a sunroof put in the car, it looks great but could this possible ruin the structure/strength of the frame if it was not installed properly possible contributing to the noises in the car when it hits a bump?
Also, what are the chances of this car being a lemon? How would I tell if it was in any major accidents?

I know a huge majority of GAGTs came with sunroofs already. I had a problem with leaking in my first GA and I'm sure others have had problems as well. Also, my sunroof causes a small but annoying noise if the cover is closed. When opened it goes away. So, it could be a problem with the noise making, but who knows. I would definitely not buy a car that had one installed other than from the factory. Just my opinion...

Also I'm not sure how Canada works or if it has access to anything like a Carfax report, but that would let you know if it was in any accidents. Assuming they were reported.

Hope I helped a little. Also, your link didn't work for me. Maybe it's just me tho.

andrewe77
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
A look at the Consumer Reports list of used cars to avoid should make it obvious what decision to make.

slickjoe
09-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, my sunroof when opened (not the latch you slide but the actual glass) it doesn't make any noise. But when closed it makes like a (rubber rubbing noise). In my opinion it depends on the tempurature outside. As for everything else, if you went ahead and bought the car, I'd tell them to fix her up before you make the deal. If I were you personally, I would continue shopping and skip this car.

lone_wolf025
09-26-2006, 12:08 AM
So for us Americans you're looking at a what year GAGT with a little shy of 40k miles for about $12K...

If its anything less than an '03 find another car to get. My car fully loaded minus leather seats w/the sc/t package went for around that with about half the miles (or km as the case may be for you). Not to mention you express concerns about the maintence of the vehicle. Personally I wouldn't go for it.

Btw it is normal to hear a "clank" from under the hood soon after driving. Its just the metal parts of the exhaust cooling down.

slickjoe
09-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah man, I got my car for 10,800 with 19K on it. Perfect condition. I really suggest that you pass on this car.