new oxygen sensor causing higher temp? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new oxygen sensor causing higher temp?

DucksInARow
09-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 2.4 4-cyl grand am, and I recently replaced the rear oxygen sensor (behind the cat) with a sensor made by Borg Warner. For some reason now the temp is consistently running 2 tics higher on the temp guage. What's up with that? Is this common after changing one of the oxygen sensors?

Thanks.

slickjoe
09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
My temp gauge goes around 3 tics (tops) past the 200 degree mark. I've had the shop check to see if the fans were working right and they said it was fine. You really need to be more specific of where exactly it is reaching in temp....

AaronGTR
09-26-2006, 06:34 AM
Are you sure you got the right O2 sensor? They probably have a specific part number for the grand am. I usually just stick with the AC delco stuff so that I know I have the right part number and I know it's the right sensor. I wouldn't think an O2 sensor would cause higher temps, but if the sensor isn't exactly the same as the stock one and the signal is slightly different I suppose it's possible. It's kinda hard to say.

digitalballz
09-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Like said above its possible. If your o2 is telling your car to dump fuel because it think s the car is running lean then i suppose it could make it run hotter.Not by much, but a little maybe. I always stick with delco parts in GM cars, cuz like aaron said you know you got the right part.

DucksInARow
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok thanks. To be specific, my temp guage usually runs about 2 tics below 200. Now it's consistently running at 200, sometimes one tic over.

I should have gotten the Delco part. I'm kicking myself that I didn't. I usually do buy Delco stuff. Oh well. I may end up just going back and getting the Delco one anyway.

slickjoe
09-28-2006, 02:07 PM
Mine is always at 200. Sometimes if i really push it it goes like 2 tics over. I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it really goes up. I'm sure it's average, I worried about it too and had it in twice, suggesting both the O2 cencors and the fans were not running. They said it was fine.

lone_wolf025
09-28-2006, 09:15 PM
So long as you're not overheating don't worry about it. Ideally with a stock t-stat you should be running around the 200 mark.