LIM change, now over-heating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM change, now over-heating

idahoeeboy
09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I just finished putting my car back together last night after the LIM change. After a few seconds, it started right up. The engine sounded better than before (I had changed the spark plugs and wires). I let it run for a minute and then shut it off. A little later I took it out for a drive. I got about 3 blocks when the temperature gauge, which I had been watching carefully, shot up like a rocket. I quickly shut off the car. I let it cool for a while, then turned it around and got it home. I left a trail of coolant the whole way home.

Looking under the hood, the apparent problem is the heater hose that plugs into the thermostat housing came off. My two questions:
1) Is this the actual problem, or the symptom of another problem? I know that fluid gushing out at that point is a problem, I guess what I'm asking is if something like air in the system could have caused it to come off due to built up pressure or something, or if I just didn't tighten down the bracket enough and it just vibrated out. Which leads me to my second question,

2) How do you tighten it so it stays? It kept wanting to slide off as I tightened the nut on the bracket. What I ended up doing was using another wrench around the threaded end of the bolt to pull the bracket toward the T-stat housing at the same time I was tightening the nut. I thought it was tight enough, but obviously it wasn't.

Thanks GrandAmGT members for all your help you've given on this project.

pyro
09-27-2006, 11:00 AM
hmm...did you triple check everyhting when you put it back together? you probably just need to tighten it down, if there was pressure in it enough to come off it would have a softspot/ boil on it near there...did you try it again after you tightened it down?

idahoeeboy
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
It was about 9 pm, dark and cold. I'd been working on it since 2 pm, so I was pretty sick of it. I'm at work now, when I get home this afternoon I'll work on it again. So I didn't try to reconnect it and see what happens.

Someone at work suggested I use some of the black rtv sealant on it, like I used on the LIM ends. Would that help to keep it in there, or would it cause problems?

pyro
09-27-2006, 11:39 AM
It was about 9 pm, dark and cold. I'd been working on it since 2 pm, so I was pretty sick of it. I'm at work now, when I get home this afternoon I'll work on it again. So I didn't try to reconnect it and see what happens.

Someone at work suggested I use some of the black rtv sealant on it, like I used on the LIM ends. Would that help to keep it in there, or would it cause problems?
dont use any sealant...if it was meant to be sealed off they would come like that, just tighten it down and make sure you re-top off the coolant.

idahoeeboy
09-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, the thing is that it didn't want to come out of there when I disassembled the car. I didn't need to force it out too much, but it really felt as though there was some kind of sealent being loosened when I pulled it out (I guess it may have been built up coolant gunk or something though). If there's not supposed to be sealant on it, cool, I won't do it. I was just hoping to hear from some of the knowledgeable people here.

Thanks! :)

1coop44
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Dumb question , did you put the hose clamp on the hose that goes to the t-stat housing & did you tighten it ? The cooling system does build up enough pressure to blow the hose off, if it is not secured with a clamp .

idahoeeboy
09-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Errrr....it's not a dumb question. Hose clamp? I didn't see a hose clamp on my black metal heater hose. The only thing I saw holding it in place was a bracket welded onto the hose that had a notch in it so it could slide onto a bolt and be held by a nut. Where is this hose clamp?

Malaclypse
09-27-2006, 01:11 PM
That black metal hose has a bracket that bolts to the side of the cylinder head. If that bracket wasn't bolted to the head that could easily allow it to pop off.

Also, there is supposed to be an O-ring on that pipe when installed. That's the resistance you felt when removing it the first time. I believe the O-ring is orange in color. If that part were missing it would cause the heater outlet pipe to leak coolant, but not pop off.

Maybe your problem is a combination of these two. Hope this helps.

idahoeeboy
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
It does thank you. I appeared as though the orange o-ring was still attached, but that's just from memory. I did use the bracket on the side to bolt it down. I ran into a problem in that in tightening the nut, it would try to force the bracket off the bolt and pop it out of the t'stat housing. I thought I had it tight because I used to wrenches- the second one to hold the bracket in place while tightening it with the first. Maybe I just need to try again and get it tighter.

LoboMan7409
09-27-2006, 08:22 PM
God I hate those damn LIM gaskets, I just replaced mine and already they are leaking again

Simpson36
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Idahoeboy;

can't you just put a washer under the nut to keep it from walking the bracket off?

Loboman;

What brand of gasket did you use? Was it the 'new design' GM?

idahoeeboy
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, I got the nut tightened down. A friend got a socket in there somehow. I couldn't get one in because the pipe was blocking it, so I was using a wrench which may have been part of the problem. Bled the system, and 40 miles later, so far so good. New spark plugs were nice, there is a noticeable difference in how smooth the engine runs. Thanks for your help all.