LIM Problems on a 3100??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Problems on a 3100???

lone_wolf025
09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Alrighty ladies and gents. The name of the game is what's wrong with this engine. Here are the symptoms:

We got oil in the coolant reservoir
Brown baked on ring (oil?) around LIM gasket
Dropping coolant level
Dipstick oil looks clean and not milky
No driveablity concerns
No visible change from the norm in exhaust appearance

I'm thinking bad LIM but I wanted to get a few second opinions. This is also off a '97 Montecarlo w/the 3100 engine and around 70K miles.

lvemy3100
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
3100 has the same LIM prob as the 3400.. 70k miles sounds about right for timing on a gasket being bad on that motor...

if I saw it in person i could tell much easier but I think you are right about it being the LIM.. although I could be wrong...

edit- also may have a bad resivior cap now (change it anyways)

Sprucegagt
09-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Either that or a bad headgasket.

lone_wolf025
09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Either that or a bad headgasket.

That's why I posted about it. I'm hoping to narrow it down somewhat. I had heard somewhere (probably here) the 3100 and 3400 are almost identical hence why I'm leaning towards LIM. But basically short of someone pouring oil into his coolant its looking like he's got a gasket issue huh?

As for his reservoir cap, the setup is that the radiator has the pressure cap on it and the reservoir is just a plug in a hole type setup...basically the older setups.

I assume that if I had pics that might help clarify the problem? If that's the case I may be able to upload some tonight.

LoboMan7409
09-27-2006, 07:20 PM
All I gots to say is UH-OH

lone_wolf025
09-27-2006, 08:53 PM
All I gots to say is UH-OH

I said something like that when I checked his tank. I'm glad its not my car. Stupid question though: I assume that since the 3100 is in essence the 3400 the gasket changes would be of the same difficulty level? I gotta do some searching but I'm wondering if I might be able to save my brother a few hundred bucks by doing it myself...

Sprucegagt
09-27-2006, 09:48 PM
That's why I posted about it. I'm hoping to narrow it down somewhat. I had heard somewhere (probably here) the 3100 and 3400 are almost identical hence why I'm leaning towards LIM. But basically short of someone pouring oil into his coolant its looking like he's got a gasket issue huh?

As for his reservoir cap, the setup is that the radiator has the pressure cap on it and the reservoir is just a plug in a hole type setup...basically the older setups.

I assume that if I had pics that might help clarify the problem? If that's the case I may be able to upload some tonight.

It gets hard to narrow down. What I would do is look at the LIM gaskets first and see if you can find a leak. Be very through when doing this.

Malaclypse
09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
The coolant resevoirs on the 5th gen Monte Carlos tend to have a sludge like buildup that looks like oil after the coolant stagnates long enough. The resevoir on my '98 3100 looked the same before I replaced my LIM gaskets and cleaned it out. After 70k miles since the gasket replacement the resevoir looks fine.

I'd put money on the lower intake gaskets being at fault. Just be sure to remove your coolant resevoir and clean the everliving crap out of it.