Passenger-side Airbag Cover [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passenger-side Airbag Cover

mshu7
09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I have damaged the passenger-side airbag cover in my '00 GAGT. It's part of the dash so I cannot tell if it is just a cover or not. Looking at the parts list, I think it may be connected to the air-back sensor.

Does anybody have any experience with the removal of this piece on the dash? If it's not a lot of money, I'd like to replace the piece. However, I don't want to remove it unless I know it's just a cover and I'm not going to damage anything but the cover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bigbenSC
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
It is certainly a replaceable part. While I have no experiance changing one on the GA I would think it could be removed from underneath the dash, you would probably have to remove the glovebox and airbag unit before you could get to the cover.

Tank33
02-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Just wanted to bring this back.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the passenger side airbag cover?

I want to fiberglass a gauge pod into it facing towards the drivers seat, as it is the only option I have left for space if I want to add more gauges.

Also, is it possible to disable that airbag somehow? In the event of an accident I don't want the passenger to take gauges in the face at 200 MPH.

AaronGTR
02-15-2010, 08:07 AM
You have to take the glove box out, then you should be able to look up inside there and see the bolts that hold the air bag in. You have to take the whole thing out, then the cover can be taken off the airbag. I would definitely take the airbag out if you're putting gauges there. If your airbags have never gone off, meaning the module under the passenger seat is still good and there are no codes in your BCM, then you can try soldering a 2.2k Ohm resistor between the two wires that plug into the airbag. I've heard this will keep the airbag light from coming on. Never tried it myself so I can't verify it works.