Average price paid for outer tie rod replacement/alignment [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Average price paid for outer tie rod replacement/alignment

NorKoastal
09-28-2006, 01:46 PM
The stealership is attempting to charge me a small fortune to get this replaced. OEM replacement at a local shop is around $340 with alignment.. Has anyone here got the outer tie rods recently swapped with alignment??

:applause:

geldartb
09-28-2006, 02:12 PM
outer tierods shoud run you about 50-60 a piece and then 60 for an alignment. thats if you do the tie rods yourself and then take it to get aligned.

SikMindz
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
$240 for me I think at a friends tire place abotu 3 months ago.

LoboMan7409
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
I didnt think tie rods were to hard are they

digitalballz
09-28-2006, 08:23 PM
no. tierods are very easy to replace. I would say roughly 60-70 for tierod 80-100 in labor 60-70- for alignment. so maybe 200-250. Around here. pricing may be different where you are!

NorKoastal
09-28-2006, 08:50 PM
hmmm... Sik any idea if your folks still works at the spot?? I cant work on the car at the house so im checin local shops..

freeze12
09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
The shops taking You for a ride as the outer is easy to change. Here is 2 prices from Advance auto....

Part No.
ES3455 TRW TIE ROD END
Front Steering; Outer; 1 Required
Warranty: Lifetime Replacement Warranty

Buy online,
pickup today!
Ships in 1 day
$43.97

Part No.
SES3455 Tread Saver TIE ROD END TRDSV
Front Steering; Outer; 1 Required
Warranty: 1 Year Replacement Warranty

Buy online,
pickup today!
Ships in 1 day
$18.48

lone_wolf025
09-28-2006, 10:48 PM
as the outer is easy to change

As opposed to the inner tierod? J/P :p But yea just count the turns it takes to get the thing off so you have a rough idea of where to put the new one on. The alignment shop will take it from there.

GA SE/T
09-29-2006, 03:25 AM
I replaced my driverside outer tie rod with one from Autozone for ~$45.00. Not too bad. 1 thing everyone is forgetting to tell you is that after outer tie rod replacement, you will need a grease gun to lube the tie rod end. IMPORTANT step!
Another thing, do not take it in to a shop to do this. This is a fairly easy thing to do so a shop would take you for a ride.......

.....But yea just count the turns it takes to get the thing off so you have a rough idea of where to put the new one on. The alignment shop will take it from there.
Or you could use some paint from the house if you got some, put some on the treads before removing bolt, let dry for ~ 15 mins then you know exactly where you left off. :cool: Oh, and of course take it in for an alignment.... :o

freeze12
09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=lone_wolf025]As opposed to the inner tierod?

Because He only mentioned the outer Tie Rod.

lone_wolf025
09-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Because He only mentioned the outer Tie Rod.

I know I was just messing with ya. Besides a rack and pinion setup doesn't have a inner tierod IIRC.

NorKoastal
09-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I wish I could replace at the house but I dont have a garage to work in.. Might have to cough up for the shop to replace. On the plus side they will let me buy the replacement parts so that will save a bit..

Thaks for all the recommendations guys !!!

freeze12
09-30-2006, 05:17 PM
I wish I could replace at the house but I dont have a garage to work in.. Might have to cough up for the shop to replace. On the plus side they will let me buy the replacement parts so that will save a bit..

Thaks for all the recommendations guys !!!
Heck...One of Your friends must have a Father that is into cars & You could use their driveway to change the part.Too bad You were not here in Buffalo,NY,I would change it for free...but then...You are in Calif. who would want to be in Buffalo now!!! Good luck :-)

freeze12
09-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I know I was just messing with ya. Besides a rack and pinion setup doesn't have a inner tierod IIRC.

You got Me on that one as I was not thinking right. Must be the paint fumes as I painted My cars hood. Damn hood chips & then rust! Just received & installed yesterday the invisible hood bra kit & I am impressed as it is a very good kit from E-bay!:applause:

lone_wolf025
09-30-2006, 10:26 PM
You got Me on that one as I was not thinking right. Must be the paint fumes as I painted My cars hood. Damn hood chips & then rust! Just received & installed yesterday the invisible hood bra kit & I am impressed as it is a very good kit from E-bay!:applause:

Yea those fumes will do it to ya everytime :) Let this be a lesson to all: Paint fumes = Bad for you! Though I wish I could repaint my hood, its all full of scratches and bird crap marks. I'm hoping that a professional detail (way beyond my level or I'd do it myself) will help that problem. That way at least I can start learning proper techniques from a fresh start.

NorKoastal
10-01-2006, 12:33 AM
If I were to swap this part does anyone have a how to or steps involved in replacing?? I found a spot to replace the parts today..

Thanks

Sprucegagt
10-02-2006, 07:38 AM

Yes it does! It's the part that you thread the outer tierod onto. There is another ball and socket joint on the other end inside the each boot on the rack and pinion. It's the non-rack and pinion setups that don't have an inner tierod.

Mike Jung
12-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Here was how I spent my day-off today...
Fock !!!

I needed new outer tie rods for my GA.
$444.54 Cdn ($389.95 + 14% taxes)

2x $120 for Moog outer tie rod ends (Do we Canadians ever get ripped on parts. Compared to what they are in the US.)
$60 Labour (I was out the door in 30-minutes)

$89.95 for a 4-wheel alignment

:(

I put on my winter tires/wheels last Monday.
Driving about 100km/h (62 mph) on the highway, & my driver's front side was vibrating.
So I went in for getting the tires rebalanced (a day after we received 20cm/7.9" of snow & freezing rain, then pouring rain.).
So the tire place that I go to is packed with people.
Turns out the tire/wheel balancing is fine; but the driver's outer tie rod are worn/loose.
Went down the street to get the outer tie rod ends changed (because the tire place was too busy) & went back to the tire place for an alignment.
Get my GA back later this afternoon.

Good thing I didn't drive to Ottawa, ON on Saturday (Helping my buddy move his sister's things, to their newly wed's house)
(5-hour drive, 465 km/289 miles away)