HELP ignition switch+ignition cylinder swap? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP ignition switch+ignition cylinder swap?

Intuit57
09-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi all;

Apparently I need a new ignition swith + a ignition cylinder. The total for those parts here in Canada are $485 (plus labor) I just called an auto wreckers who can sell me a (used) steering column for $125. Even though I'd have to use 2 keys(doors plus ignition) I don't care... BUT..will this work with the passlock etc? The dealer mechanic(on the phone) said he wasn't sure but they could try. Is anyone here more sure than that guy?!

You guys are brilliant on this site...so I feel sure some of you know something!! :)

Lab Rat
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Your ignition cylinder is NOT on the column. Why would you buy that? I have not fixed mine yet. I have the "security" light on all the time now. But I have read that Autozone has a replacement part for under 100 bux. Not the whole cylinder just the magnet and/or sensor. I was gonna try that first before I give the stealership 300 to 400 bux. Second part of your question, passlock can relearn so that should not be a prob. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

Intuit57
09-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey Lab Rat, you have helped a lot, thanks! I just called the wrecking-yard again and told them what you said (about it not being on the steering column) and he will give me the whole ignition for $75(Canadian!) Even the dealer didn't mention it wasn't in the steering column...so you are sooo smart! :)

Lab Rat
09-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Intuit57,

Just thought of something. Why don't you ask the yard to give/sell you the door and trunk locksets. They will all use the same key. Let us know how it all turns out.

Intuit57
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey, that's amazing advice!!!
What do you think about me asking to buy the 2 front hub/wheel assemblys? Are parts like that worth it used?

Thanks again.

andrewe77
09-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Replace just the cylinder.

Bought mine off eBay for $30.
Had it coded at a locksmith for $10.
Security light is on all the time now because the cylinder isn't matched to the switch but who gives a #@$? At least my car will always start now!