What type of car is an N-body? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What type of car is an N-body?

Cormaster
09-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Interesting question I've had... Its not big enough to be a midsize, but its bigger than a cavalier or sunfire, so its not a compact either. Wikipedia classified the grand am as a compact car, but if its a compact car why is it bigger than a cavalier?

jackal2000
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
because the cavy is an economy car lol

bigbenSC
09-30-2006, 11:50 AM
The EPA classified both the N and J body cars as compacts. The N-cars weren't quite big enough to qualify for midsize status. I think the classification is mostly dependant on interior volume. The N bodies have a tighter rear seat than most midsize cars, so that is probably were you notice the compact classification the most.

Cormaster
09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Yeah I've noticed the room improve quite a bit on the G6. I guess I never really knew what the n-bodies were. In the 90's I considered the J's to be the compacts, W's to be the midsizes, and the B'bodies (Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster/Fleetwood) to be the fullsizes. Since the grand am is bigger than a sunfire but smaller than a grand prix, I guess that makes it a midpact lol

onesexyga
09-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Thats actually one of the reasons i went for the ga. Its a compact, but its big enough to fit actual people. I literally cant even fit in the back of a mustang, cougar, or jetta (just a few i know from personal experience). I hit my head on the roof and my knees on the backseat.