Coolant flush, thermastat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant flush, thermastat

The_Wraith
10-01-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, I bought new Prestone dex-cool coolant & a gallon of distilled water, I was going to change my coolant this weekend, but after reading my Haynes manuel, is say that I should remove the thermastat so the water will flow through.

Well, that kills the plans for this weekend... if I'm going to remove the thermastat, I might as well put a new one in... (I want the stock temp one)

Well, since I'm going to do that, I might as well get a good one... I remember seeing awhile ago (for another car) they make this ones called "fail safe" (I think that's what it's called) that if it fails, it will fail in the open position, so you want have to warry about overheating...

So, where can I get one (Summit racing?) and what would the part number be? (I want the stock 195 temp), also anyone else use one... thanks..

Also, anyone have detailed location of the (2) block drain plugs? (it's a 2004 - v6)

digitalballz
10-01-2006, 10:08 AM
you dont need to remove the tstat to flush the system.

The_Wraith
10-01-2006, 01:01 PM
you dont need to remove the tstat to flush the system.

Then how would you do it, since the water wouldn't be able to go past the t-stat?

99GTCoupe
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but: Start the car and let it run?

myneedforspeed
10-01-2006, 08:33 PM
i might be wrong but wouldn't that dry out the water pump,,,,???

Sprucegagt
10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
You keep adding water to the system while the drain is open. The engine will warm up enough to open the thermostat.

99GTCoupe
10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I guess there's a Prestone flush kit that lets you hook up a water hose to your tank (or whatever) and you run the hose and start the car. It runs the water through your whole system, getting practically everything out, and then you can refill. Sounds good, and I'll probably be looking into it after winter :)

andrewe77
10-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Unless you find the block drains, you'll never get all of the tap-water out when you flush the system so using distilled water is useless. I just added straight coolant because there was so much water left in the block.

Sprucegagt
10-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Unless you find the block drains, you'll never get all of the tap-water out when you flush the system so using distilled water is useless. I just added straight coolant because there was so much water left in the block.

Unless you drain all of the water out and then fill it up again with distilled water. Start the car up again and let it warm up. Then drain all of that again. Distilled water is cheap especially when you can get 5 gallons for $5.

The_Wraith
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I wasn't using the distiled water for flushing, but for mixing with the colant for filling.

The_Wraith
10-05-2006, 09:00 AM
so has anyone bought of the these "FailSafe" T-stat's? Autozone sell's them $14.99 mad my motorad.

There suppose to lock into the open position if it overheats... so it won't kill your motor.

they show the stock temp 195 part #7267-195

I'm thinking of getting this... since the Haynes manuel say you have to take it out to flush, plus I would feel better knowing I won't have to worry about the t-stat failing and overheating the motor...