low engine coolent light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : low engine coolent light

Exodus
10-02-2006, 12:34 PM
As I drove back to work from my lunch break, the Low Engine Coolent light came on and the immediatly shut off. I decided to play it safe and check the coolent. Its way low than it should be. I checked to see if I had a leak and everything looks clean. Car has not been leaking at all b/c I park in the drive way and my parents just put expensive stones throughout the front and I know I would have gotten reamed at. So no leaks at all.
Is this the typical LIM leak? I had this fixed 2 years ago, $850 (there was a leak then on the ground).
Obviously I need to fill up the tank w/ %50 water and %50 Dexcool, but is there a leak?
Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance

normal
10-02-2006, 01:22 PM
well if the light starts coming on more often, then you know there is a leak somewhere, because the coolant has get out somehow, best way to be sure is to get it pressure tested and see if there are any leaks..or look in the engine bay for splotches of coolant. Also you can try putting a piece of white cardboard unde ther car where the engine sits, and run the car for a littel while and see if it leaks

Exodus
10-02-2006, 02:08 PM
As i said b/4 I havent seen leaks since I got my LIM fixed a couple of years ago. I dont believe there should be any reason for the little amount of coolent left in my tank, but there is, but no leaks.

pyro
10-02-2006, 02:20 PM
look down next to your LIM...if you see it wet in there you have a leak. mine is leaking but so slowly that it evaporates from the engine heat from down in that crevis.

Hurricane
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
look down next to your LIM...if you see it wet in there you have a leak. mine is leaking but so slowly that it evaporates from the engine heat from down in that crevis.

Same here. there were no visible leaks under the vehicle. There was a fair bit pooled up pretty much on top of the transmission. That and the smell of antifreeze pretty much gave it away.

Exodus
10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
pyro, so would you say not to have it fixed just deal w/ it and just keep dumping the soup in there?

Exodus
10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
what type of DexCool do I need to get?

Exodus
10-02-2006, 03:06 PM
bump

SikMindz
10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
WTF? You bumped a thread 30 minutes after double posting??

Anything that says Dexcool approved.

Yeah I'm being a tad stupid here but I need to refill mine every 2-3 weeks about 1/2way because my LIM is leaking that bad externally. Been doing that for a few months now. POS GA...#3 LIM leak for me. Ported LIM on order right now.

LoboMan7409
10-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah mine leaks coolant but it just stays on the trani. Just keep an eye on your oil so it doesnt leak in.

Exodus
10-02-2006, 06:00 PM
WTF? You bumped a thread 30 minutes after double posting??

Anything that says Dexcool approved.

Yeah I'm being a tad stupid here but I need to refill mine every 2-3 weeks about 1/2way because my LIM is leaking that bad externally. Been doing that for a few months now. POS GA...#3 LIM leak for me. Ported LIM on order right now.

I was at work and needed some info. Yeah I know Im impatient. I ran out to the lot and read the manual, found my answer.
Why dont you just fix i, you spent a crap load of mulla on all the c-fiber, make the car last and spend the $800 to fix the motherufcker.

SikMindz
10-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Buzzer = wrong. CF = less than what you guys can even imagine and I've already spent over $1500 between the first two frickin' LIM leaks. 3x in 6 years? This POS...

You don't necessarily need to fill it up 50/50 Dexcool and water if the whole tank didn't purge..if it's just slightly leaking putting in 100% Dexcool should be fine. Otherwise you're diluting what's already cycling through the coolant system and thereby raising the temp. threshold...

Exodus
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Buzzer = wrong. CF = less than what you guys can even imagine and I've already spent over $1500 between the first two frickin' LIM leaks. 3x in 6 years? This POS...

You don't necessarily need to fill it up 50/50 Dexcool and water if the whole tank didn't purge..if it's just slightly leaking putting in 100% Dexcool should be fine. Otherwise you're diluting what's already cycling through the coolant system and thereby raising the temp. threshold...

I was actually contemplating if I had to put 50/50 again.
Arigato

Sprucegagt
10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Wow. I'm surprised you guys actually put up with that coolant leak. I've never had it myself, at least not with coolant leaking. Instead it has always been a slight oil leak.