ticking noise underhood ?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise underhood ??

Boostd94
10-04-2006, 07:57 AM
before i replace the motor just wonder if anyone has had this happen 99 gt 3.4 v6 not super loud like a rod knock but loud enough to hear all the time noise changes with engine rpms, tried new oil and filter no change, checked flywheel to converter bolts they were all tight, just did a head gasket replacement on the car as well and that is fine and doesnt leak but the noise was there since before i took the engine apart and was also present since i got the car, only had it for a few months and bought it with the noise and bad head gasket. any ideas before it becomes a parts motor??

jackal2000
10-04-2006, 08:00 AM
lifter tick, quite common

Exodus
10-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Premium gasoline might help. Started happening tp me when gas became too expensive so I threw in regular gas. The knocking began, it is more prominent during the colder months.

lvemy3100
10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
actually I believe you may just have some piston slap (common)...
check post 3 for the fix GM came up with http://www.unitedmalibus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104

slowbird
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I've had this noise for a while.

People keep telling me it's Piston Slap but it doesn't sound like it at all....it sounds like the valvetrain...maybe the lifters.

Now that I know I got the coated Pistons I should be alright in the Piston Slap area.

Higher Octane and Synthetic Oil made No difference.

brim
10-04-2006, 06:21 PM
maybe check the rockers if you don't believe it's a lifter issue.

lone_wolf025
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
All that info was for TSBs NOT recalls right?

lvemy3100
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
yes, afik all that info was TSB's.. so unless you know for sure you have the coated pistons it could still be piston slap...

angrysk8r
10-04-2006, 09:55 PM
check the rocker arm torque...i under torqued mine a while back and had some ticking noises

Boostd94
10-05-2006, 11:29 AM
rocker arm torque is to the gm service manual since i just did the head gasket job but this is loud not the normal lifter tick associated with these cars, my g/f 99 gt has the slight tick this is loud hear it while driving loud, although i havent plated the car i have driven it from my shop to my house and the noise it quite loud but i am still not convinced its a rod doesnt seem that loud guess i will just have to do a post mordum on the bottom end when the motor is out

Boostd94
10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
turned out to be a bent, pushrod once i tore it down, and i think a bent valve too but havent removed the head yet bought a new engine for it, was the result of some inbred putting the pushrods in the wrong place since intake and exhaust pushrods are different lengths