Difference between Mechanical and electric gauges [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Mechanical and electric gauges

LoboMan7409
10-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Just like the title says, I am looking into getting some pillar gauges, I am just wondeing the difference between Mechanical and electric gauges.

Sprucegagt
10-05-2006, 07:43 AM
Ask Autometer.

http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_askaquestion.aspx

tenspeed
10-05-2006, 08:59 PM
The electrical type has a sensor that sends an electrical signal to the gauge. This is type you want for pillar mounting.

The mechanical type uses a capillary tube connected directly to the engine. Usually the gauge is mounted in or under the dash and the tube runs through the firewall.

LoboMan7409
10-05-2006, 09:21 PM
The electrical type has a sensor that sends an electrical signal to the gauge. This is type you want for pillar mounting.

The mechanical type uses a capillary tube connected directly to the engine. Usually the gauge is mounted in or under the dash and the tube runs through the firewall.

Cool, thanks

PhantomLover007
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
BUMP.

This kinda helps me out, but does everyone run electric gauges? Or do some use the mechanical gauges or a mix of them? I'm looking to get some gauges (volt, oil temp for sure), but IDK what else to get because I'm looking at getting a 3 gauge pod (or twin pod). I've read in some of the other threads that getting an AFR gauge for a non-turboed car is pointless.

Too bad PFYC doesn't sell the radar detectors that fit into the pods. I sure as hell would have gotten one of those.

lone_wolf025
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I can't speak for gauge preference but perhaps as a third gauge oil pressure? Even so it wouldn't really be all that useful I would think. I honestly can't think of anything else that would be at all worthwhile.

homeskillit37
07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
maybe make your own gauge. the faster your going the more fun you have type thing. have a needle and a fancy chart and stuff. just an idea.

SikMindz
07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
BUMP.

This kinda helps me out, but does everyone run electric gauges? Or do some use the mechanical gauges or a mix of them? I'm looking to get some gauges (volt, oil temp for sure), but IDK what else to get because I'm looking at getting a 3 gauge pod (or twin pod). I've read in some of the other threads that getting an AFR gauge for a non-turboed car is pointless.

Too bad PFYC doesn't sell the radar detectors that fit into the pods. I sure as hell would have gotten one of those.

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/gay-o-meter.jpg

350rs
07-31-2009, 03:28 PM
mechanical gauges are considered more accurate with a good gauge ( autometer and things of the sort) over the electronic. Unless your running something that REALLY needs to be closely monitored, such as alcohol injected funny cars.. you can get away with electronic gauges in a grand am with no problem. Even the new ZR1 uses all electronic gauges im sure.

not to mention, the mechanical gauges tend to work that tube fitting loose at the engine from heating and cooling. Leaks obviously come soon after.

PhantomLover007
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
I can't speak for gauge preference but perhaps as a third gauge oil pressure? Even so it wouldn't really be all that useful I would think. I honestly can't think of anything else that would be at all worthwhile.

Yeah. I meant oil pressure Jon... lol

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/gay-o-meter.jpg

So that's what you have in the Bimmer, Sik... lol

mechanical gauges are considered more accurate with a good gauge ( autometer and things of the sort) over the electronic. Unless your running something that REALLY needs to be closely monitored, such as alcohol injected funny cars.. you can get away with electronic gauges in a grand am with no problem. Even the new ZR1 uses all electronic gauges im sure.

not to mention, the mechanical gauges tend to work that tube fitting loose at the engine from heating and cooling. Leaks obviously come soon after.

Cool. Electrics it is. I was going to get the Phantom gauges (go figure... lol lol ) that PFYC sells. Thanks ya'll.... Except for you Sik... lol

Malaclypse
08-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Coolant temp is a good idea.. .

GM's idea of a coolant temperature gauge is never really that accurate.

Actually I think I went with Coolant temp, Oil pressure and Trans temp in my Monte Carlo.

PhantomLover007
09-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Well. I can't find anywhere else that sells the radar detector that fit the gauge pod, so I'm looking at either a vac or a A/F gauge. Which would be more of what I would need? Let me know. I got the oil pressure and the volt gauges in.

westerndragon
09-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Well. I can't find anywhere else that sells the radar detector that fit the gauge pod, so I'm looking at either a vac or a A/F gauge. Which would be more of what I would need? Let me know. I got the oil pressure and the volt gauges in.

I call radar detectors "to late detectors" any cop with half a brain knows not to leave the gun on all the time. Around here they just point and shoot when they want to.

that and all a radar detector will really do is tell you where every wal-mart and grocery store is....

A/F is not nearly accurate enough at pod size to realy make a diffrence its basically just so you have a gauge needle moving all the time lol

Id go with Vac, coolant and a/f (just for fun).

i want to mount a g-force gauge in the cener of the dash in the middle vent.

Mattyj724
09-01-2009, 07:57 AM

PFYC used to sell that radar gauge.. i never had the money to buy it untill now and now i cant find it.. anyone have ideas?

PhantomLover007
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I call radar detectors "to late detectors" any cop with half a brain knows not to leave the gun on all the time. Around here they just point and shoot when they want to.

that and all a radar detector will really do is tell you where every wal-mart and grocery store is....

A/F is not nearly accurate enough at pod size to realy make a diffrence its basically just so you have a gauge needle moving all the time lol

Id go with Vac, coolant and a/f (just for fun).

i want to mount a g-force gauge in the cener of the dash in the middle vent.

OK. So I'll go w/ the vac.

You get a OH HELL NAW on the G-Force gauge... lol lol

PFYC used to sell that radar gauge.. i never had the money to buy it untill now and now i cant find it.. anyone have ideas?

Yeah. I e-mailed PFYC and they said that just when they were selling them like hotcakes, Whistler discontinued them. I found on on Amazon, but they want around $600 for it. No way in hell am I gonna pay that damn much. I might have to see if I can talk them down and bring some reasoning to their exhorberant price..

westerndragon
09-01-2009, 08:22 PM
well the g gauge might be small potatos to you mr Phantom but lets face it this car aint goin nowhere fast lol its all for fun.

GCarr99GT
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
OK. So I'll go w/ the vac.

The vac can at least help you save gas.

PhantomLover007
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
OK. Got all my gauges and my pillar came today. Question.

I test fitted all the gauges and they fit really tight in the pod, so I'm thinking of not using the plastic bracket that came w/ them. Did you guys use the bracket at all or cut it in half like it says in the install instructions on PFYC's site.

http://www.grandamgt.com/lotekinstall-pfyc.html

customgagt94
09-09-2009, 12:29 AM
i never used the brackets it is pointless, i have volts, vaccum, and Air to FUEL, but my other ? is where would be the best area to hook up the tube from the vaccum gauge?

AaronGTR
09-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I cut the brackets in half and used one side on mine. Just because I didn't want any chance of anything moving from vibration and making a squeak. They don't have to be very tight though.

customgagt94
09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
does anyone know where the best location is for a turbo or vac gauge to hook up on a NA

Malaclypse
09-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Use the capped off port on the rear-most corner of the upper intake on the passenger side.

customgagt94
09-10-2009, 11:08 PM
sweet thanks man appreciate it

PhantomLover007
09-22-2009, 10:59 PM
does anyone know where the best location is for a turbo or vac gauge to hook up on a NA

Use the capped off port on the rear-most corner of the upper intake on the passenger side.

Hmm. I might have to try that. I was looking at the AFR before

Voltmeter hooked up and some pics. I have the piping/wiring for the oil pressure and the vac ran to the engine where they're awaiting hook up. lol

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/DSCF0594.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp323/PhantomLover007/Misc%20Photos/DSCF0595.jpg