Question about an upgrade. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Question about an upgrade.

CompMageX01
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
What fun I've had....

New high flow cat installed, SLP muffler.
DHP PCM installed from PFYC.com

Now I'm pricing out some other toys. Right now I'm looking at the 62mm TB from PFYC.com and a cold air intake.

Now I'm looking for any other less expensive things I can do for a little extra horse power. I was thinking of installed an upgraded fual pressure regulator, but question the need for it with the stock injectors.

pyro
10-11-2006, 10:30 AM
i'm not one to usually bash on newbies, but c'mon. SEARCH!
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039

ihatemygrandamg
10-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Full 2.5 exhuast piping and an ffp underdrive pulley.

CompMageX01
10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Pyro.... it might be good to think before you speak...
1. I have read the stricky, and I am using some of the things found there.

The reason for this post is for LESS EXPENSIVE, as I don't have the money for headers or a new CAM. I am also not the most experianced michanic so I limit my self to what I try to what I can find help for.

Plus I had a question about the Fual pressure regulator.

LoboMan7409
10-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Miltzy has some pretty bad ass stuff for our cars

Ajaxus
10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
somebody kill me now.

first off it's spelled "fuEl" (if it was misspelled just once i wouldn't make a deal, but for chrissakes your car runs on the stuff...im gonna cut myself off now), next the sponsor of the site is "milzy" not "miltzy"

those spelling errors aside.

Pyro was on the ball giving you that link, yes there are some more advanced upgrades listed in there, but if you really did read the entire thing (which you claim to have done) you would have seen other mod's listed that will help you with gaining more power (altho the lower the price and easier to do the less power gained) other than high priced ones.

Now ihatemygrandam or whatever his name is was right on, your high flow cat and slp muffler do almost nothing for you if you still have the stock sized piping which slows that "high flow" back down. So you might go back to the muffler shop and have them custom bend you some 2.5" piping so you can get that job done right and gain those lost horses.

The port and polish is something to consider if you are going with the larger TB, you can get some p/p UIM's and LIM's for only a few hundred, throw in a haynes manual and some buddies and you can do most or all of the install yourself.

Other than p/p manifolds, you've done pretty much all of the cheap and easy power mods to your car.

Edit: You do have other options to make the power increases more effective, such as a new suspension to put the power to the ground more efficently, transmission upgrades to counter lost power. Or even lightening the car with carbon fiber or other light weight materials (do a search for cerious performance)

For the fuel pressure regulator I would do some searching, personally if you aren't flowing alot of air into the engine (forced induction) then an fpr is overrated and practically useless. And if you used the search function you would find pretty much everything I said in the results.

Pyro wasn't as insultory as he could've been, he was very helpful infact. I on the other hand am a bit more blunt. It's just how I am at times.

ihatemygrandamg
10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Lol yea its i hatemygrandam + g. Was gonna put gt but ran outta letters.

You can mae a decent amount of power without going with more serious mod like heads and cam, FI, or nitrous. But without those,dont expect anything less than 14's. Take a look at my mods in my sig; I dont really have anything major done but Ive dropped about a second off my stock times

Ajaxus
10-11-2006, 05:08 PM
yep, i hate being mean, but there's only so many cheap mods you can do to gain power. if you want to make gains you have to be prepared to drop the $$$ and the time to do it. firing off shots at a moderator who showed that you need to search and read more carefully is out of line. this guy's done almost every simple mod there is, now it's time to dig in and actually get busy.