Anyone making headers for the 3.4L??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making headers for the 3.4L???

bearcat
10-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Hello. I just joined the forum. I'm the first owner of my 2002 Grand Am GT and already have 80,000 miles on it. It's one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned.

So I thought I'd introduce myself and take the opportunity to ask a question.

Now that the Grand Am is out of warrantee, there's nothing stopping me from freeing up a few horsepower with a better exhaust system. The problem is, after 5 years, I STILL don't see ANYONE making headers for the 3.4 liter engine. The rest is simple.

Borla makes a nice cat-back exhaust for it, ...if you want to spend 700 bucks on it. In Santa Fe where I live, there is no emissions test, but undoubtedly the OBDII system will have problems if I go true dual exhaust...I don't know. Maybe it can be defeated. And I'd just build my own custom dual exhaust like I did with my IROC-Z when I put the modded 350 in it.

But not without available headers. Is there ANYONE making headers for the 3.4 engine? And if not, does anyone know why? It's got to be like the ONLY engine that you can't get headers for anywhere.

Rich
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.ssheaders.com/

lone_wolf025
10-11-2006, 09:46 PM
There's also lots of info available on this topic. Please use the search feature before posting future inquires.

Grreen99GT
10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
you can't go true dual exhaust on a grand am due to no space, nor would it be necessary.

bearcat
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
That's what everyone said about the Camaro too.

jackal2000
10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
That's what everyone said about the Camaro too.

i dont know what your plans are for the GA but i cant imagine you ever needing TRUE duals.

bearcat
10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Lone Wolf, relax. Did not mean to piss you off with this post, just looking for info.

...Thanks.

LukeD
10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62150

williamGT
10-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I had a 94 ford taurus GL with a 3.8Litre V6 I got someone to make true duals each exhaust manifolds had it own pipe.....there is a same amount of room....what i mean by its almost the same set up as the grand am.

lone_wolf025
10-11-2006, 11:12 PM
If I was pissed you'd know it. That was just an FYI.

bearcat
10-11-2006, 11:24 PM
And believe me, so would you. This is just an FYI too.

...You know what? I just joined because this looked like a pretty cool forum, and I'm already getting people jumping down my throat over stupid stuff.
Look, I don't take very well to arrogant people, and if that's the way it is here, then the hell with it.
I have moderated on other forums dealing with cars with vastly more horsepower than Grand Am's for many years, and I have never had my s### jumped on this quickly.
If someone on www.domesticmisfits.net happens to ask a question that has been asked sometime in the past, I answer him. I don't tell him not to ever post again until he researches every possible thread regarding that question.

Unbelievable.

williamGT
10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
:ban: okay.....i f#$ked up...my taurus exhaust manifolds are lower than the grand am....my bad.

LukeD
10-11-2006, 11:48 PM

...You know what? I just joined because this looked like a pretty cool forum, and I'm already getting people jumping down my throat over stupid stuff.
Look, I don't take very well to arrogant people, and if that's the way it is here, then the hell with it.
I have moderated on other forums dealing with cars with vastly more horsepower than Grand Am's for many years, and I have never had my s### jumped on this quickly.
If someone on www.domesticmisfits.net happens to ask a question that has been asked sometime in the past, I answer him. I don't tell him not to ever post again until he researches every possible thread regarding that question.

Unbelievable.

Dont know what you mean by "everybody." Lone_wolf was the only one telling you to search, everyone else was contributing to the thread. However the reason why there are people that emphasize the use of search is because for people that regularly post here, they often see the same thread questions posted every week. Often times too there are "Frequently asked questions" threads in their corresponding sections that answer basic questions, such as "What can I do to make my Grand Am faster?" Often many people's first post is in the newbie section however, so you can't expect someone here to have browsed everywhere else first.

Anyway *welcome* and hopefully we haven't turned you off, as this is one of the most informative GA sites out there.

bearcat
10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Well, thanks Luke.

I did do a search first, by the way, but didn't find anything...must not have chosen the right key words.

LoboMan7409
10-11-2006, 11:57 PM

Unbelievable.

You are totally correct, my first post people who think their **** dont stink jumped down my throat. Just ignore them. This is an AWESOME forum and I couldnt live with out it, but we have people who are just too damn lazy to type **** twice, it bugs the holy hell outta me. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer it, the only plave that sells headers for the GT is ssheaders.com. And about the true dual exhaust, totally not necessary for the GA, just do what I did go get a custom exhaust whit 2.5 inch (as opposed to the stock 2.25) with a high flow cat. So you live in NM too huh, I am in Albuquerque, maybe we should meet up or some thing, aint too many of us GA'ers in NM

SikMindz
10-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Umm...take a chill pill? No one jumped down your throat and nobody told you to never post again without searching. Your question was answered in the first 3 posts and there are TONS of in depth threads about the topics that are still active and relevant- there's just too much information to be regurgitated when a simple search for "headers" or "exhaust" would have given you many options in regards to your situation.

A simple search on any search engine would yield the same results.

On a happier note, welcome to the forums!? lol

Ajaxus
10-12-2006, 12:03 AM
And occasionally you can find some used TOG's floating around, although the actual gains and pros/cons from them is a hot debate.

Welcome to the site, hopefully you weren't scared away yet. Just bum around in the forums alot and run a few searches and you'll quickly get an idea of what is already out there and what is being designed for us.

A quick browse through the site sponsors will also give you a good idea of the aftermarket for these cars. :)

BTW, I'm interested in hearing more about that 350..I just started my first engine rebuild, 305, and I think we're modifying some 350 parts for it. Would be interested to hear how far you went with modifying the 350.

bearcat
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
"Umm...take a chill pill? No one jumped down your throat and nobody told you to never post again without searching. Your question was answered in the first 3 posts and there are TONS of in depth threads about the topics that are still active and relevant- there's just too much information to be regurgitated when a simple search for "headers" or "exhaust" would have given you many options in regards to your situation.

A simple search on any search engine would yield the same results."

Ummm....Yeah. Okay, thanks for the tip...

Hey LoboMan, that would be cool. Catch ya around sometime.

lone_wolf025
10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Umm...take a chill pill? No one jumped down your throat and nobody told you to never post again without searching. Your question was answered in the first 3 posts and there are TONS of in depth threads about the topics that are still active and relevant- there's just too much information to be regurgitated when a simple search for "headers" or "exhaust" would have given you many options in regards to your situation.

A simple search on any search engine would yield the same results.

:applause: Thankyou!

SikMindz
10-12-2006, 12:54 AM
You sure take things personally...I'm just saying. In my search on Google and Yahoo for "2002 Pontiac Grand Am Headers" there were mentions of both TOG and SS.

No ones opposed to helping you nor did we want to give you that impression. But we can't exactly spoon feed it to you either, ya know? Especially considering there's just an abundance of information that is available to you- you sound like you're dedicated and wrenching isn't anything new to you. What's 30 more seconds to be thorough?

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57039

williamGT
10-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I agree with sik....there is tons of threads of headers for grand am's....before you start a thread. It will say (was there a thread for this already?)